Recommended Air Gap For Back Wall Panels?

mrfye17

Hi People,

I have a room 11' 6" x 18' and have already installed Sofits (17" x 17") Floor to Ceiling on all 4 corners as well as Wall / Ceiling corners.

Side panels 2' x 4' x 6' deep with Roxul Safe'n'Sound for RFZ are done and will be putting up a ceiling cloud with same type of Panels.

I will be using these 2' x 4' x 6" deep panels also for the Back Wall.

My Question is....

How much of an Air Gap shall I allow between the Back Wall and the Panels for most effectiveness? 4", 6" or more?

Thank you to everyone in advance.

What do you mean by 'sofits' in the corners? A small gap of a couple of inches is all that is needed - assuming your panels do not have a hard backing panel. Using a more dense product like OC703 or 705 would allow you to use 4" panels (and you would only need 2" for cloud and first-reflection point panels).

I'm having difficulty visualizing what the 'sofits' are that the OP is talking about, maybe pictures would help?

The corner bass traps and the panels have Roxul Safe'n'Sound. It was a bit of a job making these.
That's great, they look like square foam - despite what GIK or others may claim, the fact is an equal amount of compressed fiberglass or rockwool will absorb more low end than any type of foam.

I'm under the impression GIK uses a membrane in conjunction with a porous material.
Pricey stuff.

G

GIK sell them with a scatter plate as well as without...their test results on Bass traps and Panels are pretty good.
If I need to get some more treatment in my reasonably smallish room, I'll probably buy from there.

The ones I made, took a long time and there's always more to it than what meets the eye, although, I'm very happy the way they turned out:)

I made 11 Panels and 18 of the Square Soffits after doing a bunch of research in this complicated, non-exact science.
I had fun and learnt a lot but I'm worn out and need to get back to working on music!

I made 11 Panels and 18 of the Square Soffits after doing a bunch of research in this complicated, non-exact science.
I had fun and learnt a lot but I'm worn out and need to get back to working on music!

And that's it in a nutshell. We record with what we have and learn the compromises and the work-arounds. Time to get creative and have fun with it.

And yeah, the air gap only needs to be a few inches, if I remember correctly.

Air Gap

I read, in Ethan Winers online info years ago, that the panel bass reduction increases the further from the wall the panel is placed.
I built mine using 2 inch OC703 then built units that place the panels 4" away from the wall.
I also built my panels with no frames as Ethan Winer suggested in his writings as basic (wood) side panels can reduce total panel absorption by as much as 20+%.
I'd post a photo or 2 but no can do via my phone.

Bob G.

Back