[SOLVED] Rear Wall Treatment Coverage !

mrfye17

Hi People,

I'm getting closer to completing treatment for my home studio, thanks to a bunch of info answering my threads/posts.

My room is 11' 6" x 18' and am about to do some measuring, but before I do, I have a rear wall question.

The side/back wall corners and the ceiling/back wall corner have 17" x 17" soffits filled with Roxul Safe'n'Sound. (Black)

The 3 panels for the face of the rear wall are 6" thick (with the sides cut-out for a little extra effectiveness) and will each have an air gap of 6". (Red)

At the moment, distance between each panel is approx. 7". (Pics attached).

My question is....

Shall I leave the 3 Panels as they appear in the pic, or shall I add 1 more panel, making it 4 panels in total, so as to make it more of a solid wall of coverage?

Which will be more effective?

Thank You

Attachments

• 08 My Acoustic Panel Frame 3.JPG
    08 My Acoustic Panel Frame 3.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20200129_231052_resized.jpg
    20200129_231052_resized.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
One more panel won't make that much of a difference...so go with what works better for you esthetically...or you can even consider adding the forth horizontally, above the middle one, if you're looking for a place to use it.

Also...it's not a bad idea to have something on your front wall, especially if you have rear-ported monitors...so you could stick it there too.

Nice job on the framing and the overall build.
I built some big traps like that too a couple of years back...I have 6 of them, but I didn't go for the open sides.
Did you cut out the holes from solid pieces...or did you frame it out from strips?

Id be playing around with rew and a measurement mic and seeing what position got you the flattest response rather than looking for generic position advice.

Id be playing around with rew and a measurement mic and seeing what position got you the flattest response rather than looking for generic position advice.

You're not going to get much difference moving a trap a little to the left/right or whatever at the back wall....I mean, not enough that you can see a noticeable change in the flatness of the frequency response. Corners/margins a good place at the back wall...so just go with what fits your layout.

I spent a few days with REW and moving big custom traps...and there was no "AHA" moment with any particular position.

Back