Re-decorated / Treated Studio Pics

technominds

I spent a week to sort out decoration for my room, along the way i found a nice cheap place for acoustic foam and decided to treat my room.

Ive just turned 17, my studio has been entirely financed, designed and decorated myself. Any comments would be appriciated, especially on the acoustic treatement (which isnt entirely finished).

studionew.jpg

Techno Minds Studio

Looks nice :) , but even with all that foam your mixing desk is still up against a window. Doesn't that sound reflect off the glass? :confused:

PS. tekno rocks!

Well i cant be sure, although there isnt much i can really do about it... everything is sitting on a fixed desk space... if i could move it.. i would.. anything i could do to stop reflection off the glass (bare in mind i will have curtains/blind there)..

EDIT: my room seems to be very bassy, and can be heard all over my house due to bass, the foam was there as a measure to reduce it (altho i havent found any cheap bass traps)

PS: I dont make techno music, its the name of my web design company :P... but yea i spoze it does rock..

technominds said:
my room seems to be very bassy,.

That's not at all surprising. You see, foam only attenuates high frequencies, and does nothing to absorb low frequencies. So when you treat a room with foam, you effectively suck out all the high frequency response, leaving you with.... you guessed it, a very bassy sounding room.

To effectively treat a room, you need to work to attenuate a wide range of frequencies, not just the high ones, like you've done.
I suggest looking at the SAE site for a proper balance of room acoustics and treatment.

Very impressive setup. Props to you for putting it all together yourself.

The cheapest bass absorber is going to be a couple pieces of 2"-3-lb density Knauf Rigid Fiberglass Soundboard (4"- 3lb is better) or equivalent stacked in each corner. Put a light wood frame around the insulation edges and you have a panel 25-1/2" wide or so and tall enough to fit in a typical bedroom.

Cover the panel with muslin.

Stand one in each corner to create a triangle. The frame or insulation doesn't need to be air-tight to be effective, but what you're trying to create is a broadband trap with the varying depth behind the insulation panel.

It's not as effective as corner slot resonators might be, but you will get some noticable relief. The advantage of slot resonators is the ability to tune them to a desired broadband frequency.

Knauf 2"/3-lb typically runs about $1.25/SqFt. Check with local commercial insulation supply houses or check Knauf's site.

Thanks for the replies, if you look at the picture... one of my main corners has a door directly on the corner... how can i put a bass trap in with that in the way?

So use three bass traps. It'll still be better than none.

If make a panel, you can store it behind the door, and put it in place when you are mixing. The trap doesn't have to be airtight. It just has to sit there and absorb the deflected waves coming back out of the corner.

...think of foam for highs, and fiberglass for lows... is that makes it easier for you to remember...

Fiberglass has a much higher density therefor making it more suitable for low frequency dampening.

I would guess the glass window behind the mixing station would actually be a good thing.

Its not in spot to reflect high frequencies and its not thick enough to reflect the bass frequencies. But i hope you have neighbors that dont mind.

Not that the room doesnt need bass trapping still but that should help eliminate out of phase bass frequencies coming from behind the monitors.

Danny

"everything is sitting on a fixed desk space... if i could move it.. i would.. " It would be nice to be able to, but whoever fitted this thing... did a good job of making sure i cant take it apart easy.... i have like 8 corners in my room... the most imperfect conditions for micing i know... but should i fill all the corners up with traps if possible?

8 corners? Is there a soffit??? If so, just stay out of the center of it with mics. :) I wouldn't worry about soffit corners near as much as wall corners.

darnold said:
I would guess the glass window behind the mixing station would actually be a good thing.
Am I missing something? Where is the window in the pics? BTW nice color on the walls.

I was wondering...since a lot of studios have windows behind the mixing desk too (recording booth window)... is it that bad to have your mixer set up at the window?

Because working while sitting at a window sounds rather appealing to me :D

It is my understanding that most "studio windows" are super thick, at a specific angle, and completely sealed. Most home windows with those "slats" rattle.

Studio glass might be thick, but not thick enough usually to stop deep bass. I wish, if it were so i would just build my walls out of two layers of glass.

The angling is just to help keep things non parellel in the room, at least thats what i understand.

Danny

So what's to make of having that window right behind your mixing desk...good...? bad...? Hmmm...
Somebody please shed some light on this

Back