Rap Music Set Up?

Cologero

If there is anyone who records personal rap music, please post your set up. I have been doing alot of research and would just like to see other peoples set ups for recording rap. Microphones, audio interfaces, recording programs, compressors, pre-amps, etc. And a little recommendations are appreciated as well, I do not have a high pitched voice nor a really deep voice.

I don't make rap music, but my studio setup might be similar to what you're looking to put together. I'm running a reasonably fast PC with an M-Audio 1010LT card, I'm using a 12 channel Behringer mixer, a handful of synths and hardware sequencers and a lot of extras thrown in, (guitar rig, different instruments, etc.)

For recording, I've tried pretty much all the big programs out there, but I've ultimately ended up using Reaper. The price is great, and you can try it for free before you invest in a license. I'm also a big fan of software synths and VST effects, and there's a lot of cool places online that you can get free instruments and plug-ins.

Microphone wise, you have a lot of options... I've been really impressed with the Studio Projects C1 mic and the AKG Perception mics. For the money, they have been great at capturing what you put into them without coloring the sound too much. For electric guitar, I'm using a Shure SM-57, and have had a lot of good results with different instruments as well. I've heard of a lot of rappers on a budget using the 57 for vocals as well, so for the price it's worth a try. Of course you can spend a lot more on mics and get some great results, but that's all a matter of how much you want or can spend.

I'm currently building a room in half of my garage for my studio. I'm building it from the ground up, complete with my own bass traps and acoustic panels for the best results I can get. As I said, I make industrial music, and not rap, but what I'm using isn't far off from a setup that would work for you as well.

I've got the perception 200, and I've been really happy with the results we've had with it. It's low on noise, has a nice clean sound, and I like that you can roll off your low frequencies as well as a pad for hotter signals. I've used it quite a bit on my band's last couple of albums. I haven't been disappointed!

I've got the perception 200, and I've been really happy with the results we've had with it. It's low on noise, has a nice clean sound, and I like that you can roll off your low frequencies as well as a pad for hotter signals. I've used it quite a bit on my band's last couple of albums. I haven't been disappointed!

Well the 220 isnt much more money, do u think its better ?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the 220 is the most recent release of the 200 series. I would think they would be extremely similar.

Back