Quiet Refrigerator

I haven't read every post in this old thread, but as a one time caravaner, I know the answer is 'Absorbtion Fridges'

I was surprised how quiet they are when sleeping in close proximity to them for 6 years.
I remember those from years ago Ray! We had one when I was a kid (so, 70 years ago?) Yes, they are silent as there is no compressor (but they can gurgle a bit when first turned on). The disadvantages are that to get down to a given temperature in a given volume they are less efficient than compressor types and they take much longer to get there. They also use rather nasty gasses, Ammonia, Hydrogen compared to modern CFCs which, apart from their effect on the Ozone layer, are among the most inert and safe substances on earth. They can however use "waste heat" instead of an electrical supply which means their low efficiency matters little but such applications would be hard to adapt to domestic situations. Wiki does not say but it is possible that more modern, better and safer versions have been developed?

I also remember that they could stop working although no leak of working fluid was evident. The fix was to unplug them and turn them upside down for 24 hours. Then right them for another day after which they usually worked fine again.
Naturally one had to remember to take out the milk first!

Dave.

I had 2 consecutive caravans with them. Never had a problem with speed of cooling.
They could work on a tiny gas pilot light.
However I was told many caravan fires were due to spider's webs behind them catching fire, and then spreading to fabrics and foam seats.

I had 2 consecutive caravans with them. Never had a problem with speed of cooling.
They could work on a tiny gas pilot light.
However I was told many caravan fires were due to spider's webs behind them catching fire, and then spreading to fabrics and foam seats.
I dare say they are reasonably fast for a small caravan fridge and I am not sure they can get down to around -18C for freezing? But for sure, where there is a continuous waste of heat they could be very 'Green'!

Dave.

Back