Question about weird buz while recording

rfpd

So, yesterday I was hearing a weird whistling sound after recording the guitar, I record in a small kitchen but I never encountered this issue before. This started happening after I put my amplifier in the room, firstly I noticed I had the amp on, so naturally what I was recording was going to my headset and also my amp. Then I turned it off, but there was still a residual 'whistling'. Dumb question, but could a turned off amplifier somehow be reflecting the sound in a more intense way? An acoustic panel was already adviced to me here, I saw in a nearby store the LD-RF1, however how do I mount it with an akg p170? Where do I point the mic?

Your post does not make sense (and this has nothing to do with the 'studio building' section of this forum, BTW).
Tell us how you are doing what you are doing - are you miking the amp? What are you recording with - interface, computer, recorder? Post a link to the sound you recorded.

If the sound is coming out of the amp, no amount of acoustic treatment will stop that.

Yes, your post is unclear.

Kitchens are inherently noisy places, usually with refrigerator compressors and often lots of fluorescent lighting.

We really have to hear a recording of the noise to have anything to offer except wild speculation. For instance, I might suppose the whistling you heard during and after was simply because you played so loud you had self-inflicted hearing damage/loss! Was the whistling only in your head, or is it in the track?

Your post does not make sense (and this has nothing to do with the 'studio building' section of this forum, BTW).
Tell us how you are doing what you are doing - are you miking the amp? What are you recording with - interface, computer, recorder? Post a link to the sound you recorded.

It has actually, I didn't explain well xD. What I have is an akg P170 and a steinberg mk II audio interface. Sometimes I connect the audiointerface to the amplifier in order to hear the mix and to easily work on it. What I was saying was, I was recording using my headset to listen, however I noticed the amp was on, so, naturally, the whistling noise was there because of it. However when I noticed it and tried to record again, I caught that noise again, even by putting pillows and a room divider (like this example: Amazon.com: RHF 6 ft. Tall-Extra Wide-Diamond Weave Fiber Room Divider,Double Hinged,6 Panel Room Divider/Screen, Room Dividers and Folding Privacy Screens 6 Panel, Freestanding Room Dividers-Dark Coffee 6 Panel: Kitchen & Dining ). The noise was much more attenuated but still there. I use a small kitchen, however there are no eletronic devices running and no noise source, so I'm guessing it's the room reverbing. I was wondering two things, since I've only noticed this while recording acoustic guitar after putting the amp there:
- (Dumb question, however I want to make it clear) Could it be the amplifier turned off but still, somehow, reverberating because of the material (stagg guitar amplifier)?
- If the acoustic panel would help with this, and how much since I have an ak p170 and I wouldn't know how to assemble it.

Thanks for the answers.

I think you have some kind of electronic loop issue or device fault or something electronic interference...I doubt it has anything to do with the room.
Whistling noise is not going to be caused by the room.

Post a clip of the noise...it will make it easier to identify the possible cause.

I think you have some kind of electronic loop issue or device fault or something electronic interference...I doubt it has anything to do with the room.

Post a clip of the noise...it will make it easier to identify the possible cause.

I don't have any raw samples with me, I can only send later, but do you think a turned off amplifier might be causing this? I mean the problem started there, the whistles if I remember correctly are in the 800hz-1.2khz range. But later I'll put a clip here, thanks for the help ;)

Edit: The amplifier is still connected to the power and to the AI, however the switch is off, that's what I meant.

Last edited:

It is the room, I'm sure of it now, I started yelling like a crazy dude and I heard this high pitched feedback, recorded it with the cellphone and processed it, same noise. I guess in previous recordings I just cut off those frequencies, however I would like to improve the recording quality. So here comes the question that belongs to this topic :D. What acoustic panel do you recomend? I don't know how I'm going to assemble the panel I previously mentioned with this mic (AKG P170).

I'm looking for 0% weird frequencies and only the clean sound, is it feasible with that panel?

Last edited:
It is the room, I'm sure of it now, I started yelling like a crazy dude and I heard this high pitched feedback, recorded it with the cellphone and processed it, same noise. I guess in previous recordings I just cut off those frequencies, however I would like to improve the recording quality. So here comes the question that belongs to this topic :D. What acoustic panel do you recomend? I don't know how I'm going to assemble the panel I previously mentioned with this mic (AKG P170).

I'm looking for 0% weird frequencies and only the clean sound, is it feasible with that panel?
Not at all.

Not at all.

Well, as long as it improves and blocks reflections it is a good step. This room has a lot of reverberation in the 800hz-2khz range, sure I can all the time keep on removing it but I would like for a more clean sound. Anyhow thanks :)!

This 'room dividers' you linked won't do much of anything to attenuate bad sound. They are visual dividers not acoustic. You have to STOP the sound (we still need to hear it), not try to block it.

Well, as long as it improves and blocks reflections it is a good step. This room has a lot of reverberation in the 800hz-2khz range, sure I can all the time keep on removing it but I would like for a more clean sound. Anyhow thanks :)!

Use another room/closet.

G

To repeat - you have to reduce or eliminate the source of the bad sounds before they get to the microphone. Covering the back of the microphone in only one plane, e.g., horizontal, does very little if you've got audio waves bouncing off the ceiling and off the floor, the hard wall behind you, etc.

Put another way, if you have a lot of hard surfaces in the room, cabinets, appliances, etc., you are going to have a very hard time because the reflections are everywhere. You need to move to a different space with some soft furniture, or, as suggested, go into a closet.

Otherwise, consider getting a bunch of heavy moving pads and draping them over surfaces, like the refrigerator, cabinet doors, everywhere man...

To repeat - you have to reduce or eliminate the source of the bad sounds before they get to the microphone. Covering the back of the microphone in only one plane, e.g., horizontal, does very little if you've got audio waves bouncing off the ceiling and off the floor, the hard wall behind you, etc.

Put another way, if you have a lot of hard surfaces in the room, cabinets, appliances, etc., you are going to have a very hard time because the reflections are everywhere. You need to move to a different space with some soft furniture, or, as suggested, go into a closet.

Otherwise, consider getting a bunch of heavy moving pads and draping them over surfaces, like the refrigerator, cabinet doors, everywhere man...

Unfortunately I can't do much about that, I'm lucky to even have that spot for me haha. I covered some plates with a pillow and with the ld-rf1 it improved a bit. I can't change much about the room, since it's not mine, my parents let me record there as long as I keep it arranged xD. What I have there are a lot of couch pillows, don't know if it's feasible to put them around the mic when recording.

Back