Question about patching a 19" rack stereo multi-effects unit into a patchbay.

Tekhed66

Hi all...

I'll try and be brief.

I've recently (finally!!) got around to making my studio and patching all of my assorted bits and pieces together. I decided to get a 19" cabinet to install all of my synth modules/samplers and route them through a balanced patch bay (Samson S4) to my DAW.

Synth/sampler audio output is in mono (eg. L output only) into a single input jack in the patchbay.... so far, so good.

I also have a rack stereo multi-effects unit (TC Electronics M-One XL) and want to occasionally run my keyboards through the MFX... the M1XL has balanced L + R inputs and L + R outputs... I'm connecting the M1XL to my patch bay with XLR to TRS patch cables (so 4 cables in total)... this means I have two patchbay jacks for input and two jacks for output.

I thought I had my head around this but I've realised that if I plug a synth (using the single patchbay jack output) into the M1FX input jack, I'm only plugging it into either the L or the R input jack and then routing only the L or R output into my DAW.

Am I correct in thinking that I'm effectively running the effects unit in mono and not as a stereo unit??

Have I stuffed up with my patching and is there a way to get both L and R effects output signals into my DAW (since it's a stereo effects unit)?

Do I need to use both L and R audio outs from my synths?

This is really doing my head in.... the more I think about it, the more I realise I just don't know...

BTW - the M1XL manual states that only the L input must be used for mono signals...this is selected via the setup menu which I've done.

Any help/advice would be really appreciated :thumbs up:

I have a TC M350 effects unit. It can be configured to operate in a number of ways,e.g. stereo in/stereo out, dual mono, or mono in/stereo out. If you have a keyboard with mono output, the last option appears to be what you would like to have. With luck, your TC will also have those options available.

Back