Question about Acoustic Insulation

ob

I am contemplating using Owens Corning Quietzone Acoustic insulation in building my studio. I was suprised to find out that it is about 2/3 the price of normal pink insulation, but later learned that it has no R value - it provides no insulation, just soundproofing.

So here's the question - is there any problem/downside to putting the styrofoam (blue board) insulation in the cavity first (towards the outside) and then putting the OC stuff in? Will it have any detrimental affect on the soundproofing?

Any advice is appreciated.

Probably no downside, but possibly extra expense/work. You might consider using something like rockwool which would give both the acoustic and insulating properties in one shot.

Alex

Rockwool can be found in most commercial building supply stores (ie: not HomeDepot, Lowes, Ace). Try American Rockwool Co. at www.thermafiber.com

I would also suggest a search for "Rockwool" on this site... I provided some costs, etc. for different types of SAB.

Hope this helps!
-Scott
----------------------------------------------------------------
Let's go Mountaineers!!!

Thanks for the reply, but actually, it is more appropiate to say LET'S GO HERD!!!!!!!

I'm in Huntington.

There are online shops offering insulation slabs with acoustic properties. 60kg/m3 dense slabs are the best for acoustic panels - I purchased Knauf Earthwool RS60 and it does a great job.

TO ALL,

The Owens/Corning Quiet Zone batts are very similar to the plain R13, R19, etc. batts. They provide equivalent thermal ratings.

THE REGULAR LIGHT-WEIGHT FIBERGLASS INSULATION IS THE VERY BEST CHOICE FOR WALL CAVITY ABSORPTION. - So get the cheaper stuff for this purpose.

Please see my paper "Sound-Proofing; The Quest" on my publications page. Using rock wool or other more expensive product is a waste of money and product as it does not perform any better. -THAT is the bottom line.

Also note that thermal insulation products do not all have absorption characteristics, but all acoustic absorption products DO have thermal insulation characteristics. ;)

Cheers,
John

Pawma,

Sorry man. NOT for sound transmission loss panels. Fine for room acoustics, but that is not what we are discussing here. ;)

They just want to sell you stuff and don't know any better. Use the light-weight building insulation in the wall cavities for Sound Transmission Loss. EPS, Styrofoam, and the like have no useful purpose in acoustics except as reflective products like diffusors - but the offer ZERO acoustical absorption.

Also note; Rock wool IN the walls as part of a sound transmission loss partition will work FINE. It's just an expensive way to get there, and not necessary.

Cheers,
John

Back