Prelim questions...small room

Monkey Allen

Fork and spoon operator
Hi

My room is:

210cmx220cmxstandard height roof.

It has regular white house walls and a tiled floor.

It's an echo chamber. It sucks.

Is it worth doing anything at all to such a room to treat it for monitoring/ mixing? I will be there for a year and a half in all likeliness and I want to be able to do some mixing.

Due to the size, I can only afford inches between the back of the monitors and the wall. The sound is bassier than Barry White and there's no high articulation. It's the perfect dead zone, mid zone.

What can I do with such a bad room?

I'm gonna start with a bit of a rug on the floor...

thanks

No, my friend. I would recommend against using that room for anything but voice-over work. Even then you will need to trap the crap out of it. ;) - and make it 'dead'.

It's just too small.

or - spend as much money as you can afford on the very best audiophile open-ear headphones and high current headphone amp. - but it's still not the same as speakers in a room - you will have to deal with the 'in-your-head' imaging or use a correction plug-in.

You should try to find a room that has at least 42 cubic meters of volume. The dimensions are also very important to minimize room mode issues.

By the way, I am not too far from you.. I'm in Jakarta, ID. :D

oh.. also a rug will probably make it worse.. you need serious bass trapping and flutter echo control.

Cheers,
John

Yeah this is what I thought...I can't do anything about it except for maybe use the bass freq adjust on my speakers and try to get familiar with mixing through trial and error.

Thanks and hi to you in Jakarta from near the Chinese border in HK

:)

You are determined. :cool:

Ok, then you must try to treat the room with Bass Traps at the very least. 10 - 20 cm thick rock wool covered with a fire-rated fabric placed in the corners will help by an incredible amount. ;)

You have 12 corners in a rectangular room - not just the vertical ones.

Then, I suggest that you treat any surfaces that will reflect the sound from your speakers back to your mix position.

Never let untreated surfaces face each other.

I think that bass EQ on the speakers is for flush mounting the speakers. Not a good idea to use for room tuning or correction of modal issues.

Cheers,
John

Back