Pre amp upgrade

Terse

Hi. Any advice please. I am using a focusrite 212 interface but would like to upgrade my sound for vocals, so the focusrite Clarett 2 Chanel looks interesting with its air settings and maybe upgraded pre amps, or I am thinking linking up a solid state mic preamp, maybe a Dbx 286s or maybe a Golden age or similar preamp, just looking for a step up in terms of vocal colour or clarity, under £400 , any recommendations? For a country/blues vocalist. Thanks

You should have all the clarity you need with the existing interface, so I'd go looking for that preamp color chart that was here a while back:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...er-bloody-preamp-thread-400362/5/#post4503397

Pick a coupla-few and order them, try out each and record them with the same source, mic, levels, etc., and then send back the one(s) that don't give you what you want. I don't think anyone can remotely guess what will be the one that does what you're looking for, unless you sound exactly like someone famous, and can post a recording of yourself that lacks a certain something you expect from a preamp. (And a lot can be done with plugins, TBH.)

The biggest improvement will be gained by acoustically treating the room followed by trying a different mic. The preamp plays a very small part in the overall sound (despite what some marketing people would like you to believe).

Back