Possible DIY corner bass traps?

jabulani jonny

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to do the DIY acoustic panels and I was looking for something to put in the corner, without hanging anything across the corner if you follow me. On a site I was on recently I saw a company that would build a box/soffit sort of deal that they would mount in the corners of your ceiling to act as kind of hidden bass traps.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of doing anything to my ceiling, but I was wondering if anybody's tried using this idea for the other corners. I'm thinking along these lines:

Take a 4x4" post and wrap it with some stuffing then cover it with some fabric to match the carpet or the wall. Stand it in the corner, either on a stand that's connected or kind of wedged against the ceiling. I was thinking that it would pushed all the way into the corner, but I'm wondering if you would pull it out an inch or two.

Anybody tried anything like this and does it sound like something that could act as a half-way decent bass trap? thx.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Perhaps you could do this... Buy a box of Owens Corning 703 with a 1" thickness. Cut them into strips that are 4" wide by 48" long. Then stack 4 strips on eachother and wrap them in fabric and secure it with double sided tape that will stick to fabric. Fold up the ends like a christmas gift and tape it too. Then to mount it to the wall, just get some velcro and stick it to the wall. No damage to the wall whatsoever.

Personally, I don't think it will be as effective as a panel put across the corner but, this is IMO an easier way to accomplish your proposal with minimal materials and labor.

The easiest thing to do is to stack a few rolls of pink in the corner.

The next is to cut 4 × 8 sheets of 703 into triangles and stack the triangles up in the corner.

Back