photos of newest acoustic panel design

rockironwebb

senior newbie caveman
Here are a few photos of how I am going to build my next 10 panels. I appreciate the advice I got here and after thinking things through, I was able to cut costs as well as reflective surface. I used a 1X4 piece for the top and bottom and I used 1X2's for the vertical pieces. Total wood cost per panel will be $3.50. Soooooooooooo, without adding in fabric costs, the individual panel price for wood and roxul is about $6.50. I used a breathable sweatpant/fleece fabric on the first two panels, I believe it costed about $3.50 per yard.
I am brand new to doing anything with fabric so I may end up overspending a little in that area, I would rather have more for stretching and stapling than not enough.
Any fabric tips? like how to figure what I need per panel 15" X 48 1/2" X 4 1/2"
oh yeah and by leaving the sides open I have gained 141 square inches of non reflective area on my panels. I guess I didn't actually "gain" since I have the 1X2's covering roxul on the front and back, but having the sides open surely has some benefit.

Attachments

• IMAG0693.jpg
    IMAG0693.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 244
  • IMAG0694.jpg
    IMAG0694.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMAG0695.jpg
    IMAG0695.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMAG0696.jpg
    IMAG0696.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 241
Very good work Rock.
Are these to be wall mount or free standing? Either way how do you propose to accomplish that task?

they will be wall mounted. I will probably use small gauge stranded cable and eye hooks. I aim to have a 2" gap between wall and panel. I am considering hanging from the ceiling 2" from the wall in a couple of areas where they won't constantly get bumped. Any other area where there is going to be people walking by I'll just add a 2" spacer and mount to the wall.

Rock I like the design as for the open sides Im not sure if it matters to have the open or not. Check Ethan Winers website RealTraps.com he has lots of info on there, and I know he also posts on here. Fabric just has to pass the breath test (hold up to your mouth and try to breath through it) if you can then the fabric will work fine. I know people like to use burlap but just about any cotton fabric will work.

I went NAMM the last two days and stopped by the Primacoustics booth and got some ideas from them for my projects, their Flexibooth and FlexiFuser look easy enough to build. You can see both on their website. I would recommend checking them out and seeing if you can scavenge any ideas from their site as well.

Good luck on finding some fabric, and show us how it turns out.

Here are a few photos of how I am going to build my next 10 panels. I appreciate the advice I got here and after thinking things through, I was able to cut costs as well as reflective surface. I used a 1X4 piece for the top and bottom and I used 1X2's for the vertical pieces. Total wood cost per panel will be $3.50. Soooooooooooo, without adding in fabric costs, the individual panel price for wood and roxul is about $6.50. I used a breathable sweatpant/fleece fabric on the first two panels, I believe it costed about $3.50 per yard.
I am brand new to doing anything with fabric so I may end up overspending a little in that area, I would rather have more for stretching and stapling than not enough.
Any fabric tips? like how to figure what I need per panel 15" X 48 1/2" X 4 1/2"
oh yeah and by leaving the sides open I have gained 141 square inches of non reflective area on my panels. I guess I didn't actually "gain" since I have the 1X2's covering roxul on the front and back, but having the sides open surely has some benefit.

69330d1327091127-photos-newest-acoustic-panel-design-imag0696-jpg

Is the top the back? Whats the point of the little 10" cross beams on the top and bottom? They look good though :) looks like my garage :D

The top in the photo is the back. The cross beams are there just to allow the fabric to cover the panel smoothly. But now that you have brought it up, I want to change them because I have added a reflective surface that is 1/2"X12"to two points on the panel. Does that sound silly? I just want to get my money's worth out of my roxul!!!

I recently bought several acoustic panels from sound control services Acoustics, and they had the best prices that I could find. I know people who have bought from ATS Acoustics, and they have a good reputation as well. They also have really good prices. you can get best sound control services Acoustics panel at soundcontrolservices.co.uk

Rock I like the design as for the open sides Im not sure if it matters to have the open or not.

It certainly can make a large difference! In areas where sound can't get to the sides as much, it doesn't make AS large of a difference, but any extra bit can still be helpful. A 4" thick panel that is 24" x 48" has 50% more absorptive surface area if the sides are completely open! From what I've seen, open sides give the most benefit on corner mounted panels.

It certainly can make a large difference! In areas where sound can't get to the sides as much, it doesn't make AS large of a difference, but any extra bit can still be helpful. A 4" thick panel that is 24" x 48" has 50% more absorptive surface area if the sides are completely open! From what I've seen, open sides give the most benefit on corner mounted panels.

Thanks for this comment, about to build some corner mounted bass traps, so I might use this design! Thanks a ton rock for the pics!

Back