One set of speakers two inputs (PC & audio interface? Switch/splitter for the job??

David_VI

One set of speakers two inputs (PC & audio interface? Switch/splitter for the job??

Howdy!

I've got a Tascam USB interface with RCA phono outputs plus the onboard sound from my PC.

However I only have a Creative 7.1 speaker set. (I don't do enough recording or proper stuff yet to make monitors worth the cash).

For the past few years i've used a splitter intended for two people to use one mp3 player (You can mute each set of headphones seperately and adjust volume seperately so means I could switch between outputs).
I have been using the Y splitter backwards so it is going into the front speakers socket on the back of my sub and then having the output from the Tascam and the usual output from my PC soundcards front speakers going into each of the Y points.

Now I believe this is not a cheap way of doing this but the wrong way.

My main issue with it is that the front speakers when im listening to my PC audio as per normal are quieter than the rest.. I suppose signal is lost by splitting?.

Is there a better way to do this, so I can use one set of speakers and two inputs, and be able to switch between them and possibly, if not damaging have both at once? Along with not losing any signal volume?

Thanks
David

That would be the answer but i'm using 7.1 sound for films, games and music so need to use the onboard sound and the rest of the speakers.

Cheers

Back