Ok, Acoustics gurus - help me lay out an awful space :D

The listening/mixing position is the most critical. Stick the amp wherever it fits after the bed and dresser go wherever they will fit. You'll be close-micing it anyway and spending lots more time after that at the console. Start at the Fitz solution with your work space. Everything else is secondary.

You said drums too, right? Putting them out on the roof are you?

lou

Be sure and leave a pair of mics up at all times. Chicks LOVE being recorded having hot monkey sex.

:laughings::laughings::laughings:

Her orgasms make a quite distinctive ringtone.

:laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings:

You definitely want to use omni's to mic the bed. Close-micing runs the risk of kicking over the mics!!!

You guys are scaring me. :lol:

Ok, so in a consession to form over function, my desk is currently against the slanted wall. Even this isn't TOO bad - juist getting my monitors a bit further away from my head and up to ear level seems to have helped somewhat.

I'm thinking, though, that once I finish tracking for the album I'm working on, I might rearrange the room for a couple weeks to get my desk in front of that alcove. IT looks like it'll fit well enough, and if I just move my bed along the same wall to be right next to the closet it shouldn't screw with too much else. I could just do that now, but doing so would eat up most of the usable space in the room (to walk in, you'd have to basically walk along the perimeter of the wall to get around the bed, before a space opened up) so I'd rather just do it for a few weeks at a time while mixing, and leave it as is most of the time.

Re: drums - my old roommate whose room this used to be used to keep a drum set in here. I don't own one myself, so it'll be the same sort of deal, where when it's time to track drums I'll just move my bed (probably just lean the mattress up against the wall - it's not an ideal bass trap, I'm sure, but I'd imagine the mattress and box spring would help a little), set up the drumkit, and go to down. Then, when we're done, break down and return the room to normal.

That's the thought, anyway. :D

Hey Fitz - What about the 38% rule? Room's too small, won't work or is it not that good a rule? (I have a similar space and getting the listening position at 38% of the long dimension kills any useability or traffic flow.)

lou

Hey Fitz - What about the 38% rule?
Rule? There NEVER was a "rule":rolleyes: That is a net myth. Do a search of Wes Lachot and this myth. It was only a starting point. As to this room...well, sometimes the existing space dictates the best symetry over long axis monitoring. At least in my book.

I have a similar space and getting the listening position at 38% of the long dimension kills any useability or traffic flow.)

Another thing Mr. Lachot says...there are NO absolutes. You have what you have, so make the best of it. Thats all you can do...Lou.:D

You still want to shoot for the 38% rule then tweak it as needed. It's really not a "rule"...it's more of a starting place.

Symmetry? Really?

ummm, Casey...phullllleeeeeeze, go back to bed.

is.php

Hi Rick -

Looking at the pic you posted above, the walls to the immediate left and right of the mixing position appear to be symmetrical. I figured that the reflections coming from the side walls were more immediate concerns than the reflections from the back wall, all things treated equally. It seems like we do not disagree..

Where am I off?

Hi Rick -

Looking at the pic you posted above, the walls to the immediate left and right of the mixing position appear to be symmetrical. I figured that the reflections coming from the side walls were more immediate concerns than the reflections from the back wall, all things treated equally. It seems like we do not disagree..

Where am I off?

Well, heres what you said....
I'd stick the bed in the alcove, and put the mixing position between the two parallel walls, so that you will have symmetry in your listening position.
I was ASSUMING you "meant" rotate the engineering position 180 degrees facing the "rear wall". It's either that, or you are saying put the bed behind the console position as I showed it.:confused::confused: But then how would he get in bed? BTW, sorry I haven't been back sooner, but too many "honeydos" in the fire right now.:mad: Dang, does it ever end?:D

Back