New studio space...considering my options.

I hear birds chirping outside of my music room. That's probably the window's fault but I wouldn't put it past the walls and grossly inadequate insulation of my house's 1962 construction.....hopefully the next place won't be a shoebox of an apartment.
Because I use every space available in our house, I'm liable to hear all kinds of sounds on recordings although I don't. Once in a while, when something acoustic is isolated and in a quiet moment, I might hear birds or a car but when all the other elements are in, I rarely hear anything. During the summer, I was recording the double bass on one song and I used a Rode NT2000 which I discovered did the double bass really nicely but it can be so sensitive depending on the setting. Anyway, on this particular song, there's a pause between the 2nd and 3rd verse and every sound decays and there's supposed to be silence left before a right royal ruckus kicks in on verse 3, the idea being maximum impact. But for a couple of seconds, you can hear seagulls far away in the distance. Once I noticed them, it actually sounds deliberate and it's one of those times when birds outside enhance. It was a while before I even realized they were on the recording. At first I just thought they were flying by whenever I was listening to the playback.

Very cool Miroslav!

I happen to be just starting build on a new house and will be setting up my studio in the new (single car) garage. I've got much more serious soundproofing issues to address, one wall of the garage adjoins to my new house whilst the other wall adjoins my neighbors master bedroom. Not to mention the garage door faces out to a neighboring house (about 30 feet away) who's sole occupant has already advised me that he 'likes his peace and quiet'. :listeningmusic:

Sounds like a polar opposite situation to what you have going on but fun times ahead for both of us that's for sure. Good luck with the build!

I've got much more serious soundproofing issues to address...

Your best-case would be to do the double walls/ceiling...and since you're building the whole house, you can get it done the right way from the start.
The outer walls can be standard code..etc...and then do the room within room, with another set of walls/celing, decoupled from the first. That could be a lighter wall (2X4") since it's not structural. If you put some decoupling material under the inner room sills, you further disconnect from the rest of the house.
If you have to connect the top plates, etc....use as much decoupling material as possible...but a completely disconnected, insulated, with a double drywall layer room within room...you will be able to set of a grenade in there and not disturb anyone! :p ;)

You are real lucky that you can build it along with the house...rather than after the fact. You may even want to have them go beefier on that one outer wall adjoining your neighbor (is it a townhouse/condo thing?).

You are real lucky that you can build it along with the house...rather than after the fact. You may even want to have them go beefier on that one outer wall adjoining your neighbor (is it a townhouse/condo thing?).

Correct, it's a townhouse.

Unfortunately it's not a full purpose built studio, it still needs to function as a garage as well - garage door needs to open and close so a small car can get in and out. The idea is to have the recording equipment all setup, tape machine, mixer, rack equipment, amps, drums and keyboards around the perimeters of the garage so the car can still get in and out when not using being used as a music room.

Then when it's time to jam, take out the car for more space.

The garage walls are double brick and the adjoining neighbor is also another double brick wall and each house is on completely separate foundations so I think that's ample mass and isolation.

The bigger issue I think is the garage door opening which is 10 feet wide and 8 feet high and garage doors are always quite light (to reduce stress on the motor when opening and closing).

Regardless, I don't have any allusions of being able to crank a guitar amp or bashing away on drums past 9:30pm.

Oh, forgot to mention, the new house is pretty small so the washing machine and laundry sink is in the garage as well :drunk:

Capture.PNG

oh? You wanted to use it as a garage, too? I think you're out of luck, man. That overhead door won't do diddly squat for noise containment and you already been advised by the neighbor on the other side of the street about noise.

Yes I think so :D

Let's not take away from the good studio vibes going on in this thread though

I think the point he's making is that unless you come up with a solution for the door, your studio vibes will not be so good. :D

I do get the need to make it a multi-use room...but there is a point of reality that you have to face, and the space simply won't work for everything.
So...what's key to you...the studio use, or the need to park a car inside, or a place to do your laundry? :)

My point was that this being a new house build...you have an opportunity to sort that out now...and maybe you change some of the multi-use requirements...or have the builder try and make some adjustment to how your space is laid out to accommodate things better.
If you let them build a typical garage with a sink and laundry area...it's going to be hard for a realistic studio use too...I just don't even get where you would be able to set things up, and also leave room to park a car inside...???

Hey...just be firm, the studio space is very important to you. ;)

I live in the north east USA...and we get our share of nasty winter snow and freezing rain, and also the summer heat.
Never had a garage in all the years and across multiple houses....and if I had a 2-car garage, the first thing I would have done is formally converted it to a studio space.
Most people with garages end up using them as storage, and they get filled up quick. My neighbor has a 2-car garage...he's never parked his cars in it...there's no room! :p

you'd be amazed at how many houses in our neighborhood with garages that can't park their cars inside, if they haven't converted it to permanent living quarters. I was doing an informal survey this summer and something like 1/3 of the houses that came with underneath parking aka, half the basement was garage as opposed to an expansion to the existing house, who chose to make a room out of it instead. It is my totally pulled-from-my-heinie guess that not one is a studio, though :D

I do get the need to make it a multi-use room...but there is a point of reality that you have to face, and the space simply won't work for everything.

Challenge accepted :p

I've had to deal with even more compromised spaces before, over the course of about 2 years I recorded 3 albums and about 50 demos with a 3 piece band in a 12ft x 10ft bedroom with a couch, bed, drumkit, guitar amp, mixer and tape machine.

I might have to bake some cookies for the neighbor across from the garage though :D

Challenge accepted :p

I've had to deal with even more compromised spaces before, over the course of about 2 years I recorded 3 albums and about 50 demos with a 3 piece band in a 12ft x 10ft bedroom with a couch, bed, drumkit, guitar amp, mixer and tape machine.

You and a lot of other home studio people...but if you have an opportunity to expand and improve your studio setup, grab it while you can! ;)
You can do the laundry in the bathroom sink! :D

OK...my new studio build has finally begun! :guitar:

This thread can continue on if needed for any further discussion...but I have started a new thread that will document the actual build as it progresses

The new thread is here: Studio Build Documentation

Back