Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: New studio space...considering my options.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    A good storm may blow my house down, but that slab ain't goin' nowhere!
    You'll be able to pitch a tent on the slab when the house is gone.

A guy I used to work with just moved down there...I forget which town...he bought a new construction house, it looked nice, though I never asked what/how the foundation was done....I didn't realize it was that involved down there, I just assumed there was some areas below water level that you had to avoid the basements.

So when you say "South Texas"...how far north/east/west do you need to go before you get out of that ancient sea bed?
    What about places like Austin...? Probably one of the few Texas cities I at one time thought of moving it, or San Antonio...no disrespect intended to the other places in Texas, there's a lot of nice towns, I just for some reason thought those two would be cool, especially Austin because it appears to have a growing artist community.
    Still...it seems that Texas is now becoming the new Florida...lots of people moving there to retire and/or because cost of living is cheaper.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    You'll be able to pitch a tent on the slab when the house is gone.

A guy I used to work with just moved down there...I forget which town...he bought a new construction house, it looked nice, though I never asked what/how the foundation was done....I didn't realize it was that involved down there, I just assumed there was some areas below water level that you had to avoid the basements.

So when you say "South Texas"...how far north/east/west do you need to go before you get out of that ancient sea bed?
    What about places like Austin...?
    You can pretty much tell what used to be swamp and see just by looking at the current eleveation. That's why we have so much oil.

Austin and San Antonio are both hilly, Austin especially. It's almost like a hot version of the pacific northwest. Both cities are more expensive to live in than the greater Houston area and the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

Texas has an area called "The Hill Country" which includes Austin, The area is very desirable for retirement homes and vacation homes but since there is little in the way of major industry it's an area that population remains lower. Not enough jobs, basically.
    Last edited by Chili; 2 Days Ago at 09:38. Reason: fixed the quote for ya!!
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Re "Water Table"?

Mum & Dad's cellar would flood to about a foot if we had heavy rain over an extended period. The floor was cobbles but they "had a man in" and he found there was a stream below that he knew ran through that part of town (house is in middle of Somerset st and side of a gentle slope. Google for map "Racecourse Northampton UK") He put in ceramic ducts and the whole floor was concreted to about 8" above the cobbles.

Lower parts of our town have suffered serious flooding (I'm ok barring the Second Deluge at NN5 5Pguess) Far Cotton and parts of St James. and STILL the money grubbing bastard developers want to build on the flood plains and woodland that absorb and slow the 'king water!

Dave.

Thread Information