New studio space...considering my options.

Oh, btw even 24x24 is too small...

I came to that conclusion too! ;)

OK...another meeting with the contractor today to make final decisions on the dimensions and basic where/what.

The original plan to push out one wall and end up with a 26' x24' structure (initially I thought it was going to be 24'x24', my mistake)...has been abandoned.

The new plan is to push out two walls...a back wall and a side wall...and end up with a 34' x 26' structure. :cool:
That will give me one big studio space of 28' x 26'...and the remaining 6' running across the 26' wall will be for an iso-booth, storage closet and the entrance space with double doors, with some room for a rack that will hold my main electricity distribution boxes for the audio gear in that space between the double doors (it will be like a 6' x 3' space). The iso-booth and closet will each be about 6'x10', and I plan on building the closet as though it too is an iso-booth...so same amount of insulation/isolation...that way, I can also use it if I need to stick an amp in there, with the bigger, dedicated iso-both more for vocal use or what have you.

Even with the booth(s) I plan to do most of the recording for amps, vocals, etc...out in the main room, but the booths allow for isolation if/when needed.
In addition to all that, the main entrance way foyer that joins the rest of the house to this new studio space will be able to serve as a third iso-booth, though it will not be treated to make it dead, plus it has a high ceiling, all wood walls, and tile floor...so there's a nice live sound in there. Could be fun for drums maybe for some things, or even try to use it as make-shift reverb chamber. :)

Big part of the discussion revolved around the roof and the new 34' span...and the need for a hefty center beam that will run its length to support the rafters. We may go to a smaller center beam, and add some rough-cut collar ties that will be exposed between the two sides of the roof...which I think would give it a nice look too...or the big open cathedral ceiling 14' up with the bigger center beam and now collar ties...we have to work out the exact code requirements, but both options are on the table.

This is going to be insane...or is it just me? :p

Very, very cool. Just keep looking forward to the result every time something doesn't go as planned and you'll stay sane

Not so great update...

I was waiting for my contractor to call me back with his general estimate, and today I talked to him...but it wasn't the estimate that was a problem...instead he tells me that because he's a solo builder and recently moved to the area, when he talked to the township Building Dept....they told him he needed to get a different grade of license to do this job, because of the large size, and that with out a crew and workman's comp, etc...they wanted full engineering done....yada, yada.

So...he's not going to be able to do this job, and I'm going to have to just find a more established local contractor that knows all the people at the Building Dept., and that's dealt with them. I already have a couple on call, so unless they are swamped with jobs, I think I should still be able to get this back on track and done by the end of the summer...but sometimes the local Building Dept. people can get carried away with themselves, and force silly demands on you.
I'll see what happens...though worst case, I might have to pony-up for a certified engineering report/design, etc.
To me...it was just a simple room, nothing really unusual other than it's 34' long, so yeah, the roof structure would have to be beefier, but it's not some complicated engineering task.

What about a engineered permit ready garage kit pimped to your needs.
Just a thought.

G

Silvertone Mastering NY

Silvertone Mastering building.jpg

Last edited:
What about a engineered permit ready garage kit pimped to your needs.
Just a thought.

G

Silvertone Mastering NY

View attachment 104477

You mean a ready-built structure that is just assembled on the property?

Naa...it wouldn't work because I'm trying to just expand an already existing addition, into a much bigger addition, plus wanting to add a full bath (not part of the addition, but kinda set in-between it and the rest of the house.
I think the bathroom was partly to blame for Building Dept ask what NY credentials he had...to cut in another bathroom into the septic system, and would it be sufficient to handle the added bathroom (mind you, there aren't a half-dozen people living here and using the bathrooms all day long...but I know, they're thinking "codes" and not so much my actual usage.
He's a competent guy, but he's recently moved to NY from CT where he has the creds.
Anyway...I just need to find a local, long-time area contractor who will not get any raised eyebrows at the Building Dept for my township if they all know each other and have done work before...etc.

Hey...that image in your post, and "Slivertone Mastering NY"...is that your place or...? I mean, your in Canada, right...so what's the connection?

Not so great update...

I was waiting for my contractor to call me back with his general estimate, and today I talked to him...but it wasn't the estimate that was a problem...instead he tells me that because he's a solo builder and recently moved to the area, when he talked to the township Building Dept....they told him he needed to get a different grade of license to do this job, because of the large size, and that with out a crew and workman's comp, etc...they wanted full engineering done....yada, yada.

So...he's not going to be able to do this job, and I'm going to have to just find a more established local contractor that knows all the people at the Building Dept., and that's dealt with them. I already have a couple on call, so unless they are swamped with jobs, I think I should still be able to get this back on track and done by the end of the summer...but sometimes the local Building Dept. people can get carried away with themselves, and force silly demands on you.
I'll see what happens...though worst case, I might have to pony-up for a certified engineering report/design, etc.
To me...it was just a simple room, nothing really unusual other than it's 34' long, so yeah, the roof structure would have to be beefier, but it's not some complicated engineering task.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe this guy can partner up with an established contractor just for this job for a percentage in exchange for the connections with the Bldg Dept. He would have to pay out of his own share, but it will establish credentials he would need for future jobs.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe this guy can partner up with an established contractor just for this job for a percentage in exchange for the connections with the Bldg Dept. He would have to pay out of his own share, but it will establish credentials he would need for future jobs.

Yeah man. that happens here in Denver all the time.

Established builders working with commercial contractors for a percentage and using their license to do the work under them. Usually an additional 25% from what I have seen.

Part of me wonders if he just wanted to back out of it, since it was a bit more involved...but I know when I spoke with him a few months back saying I had some plans for an addition, etc...and I asked if did that kind of work (he was doing siding and a deck at my neighbor's house - really well done)...he said, "I can build you a whole house if you want"...plus in going over the details, he certainly knew what he was talking about and pointed out some things I was considering that wouldn't work, etc...so I don't think it's really that.
He just got caught up with not having the full contractor's creds for NY yet at the Building Dept...and there was no way to take it back. I mean, this build has to be done to code, all proper permits..etc...this isn't just a wood shed in the back that you can toss up without bothering with permits, etc.

I'm not too upset, I still have the time, and better to know this now then after we started the project and materials ordered, etc.
I've found a couple already I need to talk to...one of them clearly does more involved additions, and their biz address is right there in the same village as the township Building Dept...so I think that's going to be much smoother. Might cost me a bit more, but I had room in my budget, and actually expected the initial ballpark appraisal to be much higher. I mean, I was already prepared to spend a good deal more than what this contractor would have charged.

For me...the big thing...is I want this done by the time the leaves start to fall. If it's going to get dragged out, I will lose focus and motivation...because it will hold up other things. I just want it build so I can move the studio into the new space and get on with actually using the place.

Last edited:
I had to pay $500 for engineering drawings just to put up a 2-car steel/aluminum 3-walled carport in my town. It's how they make their money - making things difficult for people..

I had to pay $500 for engineering drawings just to put up a 2-car steel/aluminum 3-walled carport in my town. It's how they make their money - making things difficult for people..

That's dumb...and a rip-off.
I mean, there's complicated builds that may need that, but a carport...? :facepalm:

Well...if I end up having to, then I have to, if they won't issue the permit without, but I don't like to get ripped off just to line someone's pockets.

That's a bummer Miroslav but maybe there is an upside? Perhaps you don't suffer the rip offs, shoddy work and abandoned builds that are rife in this country with its largely unregulated trades?

We call them "Cowboys" Now I have no idea how that appelation became attached to wayward trades people and I aplogise to those so called amongst our colonnial brothers who, I am sure are very largely very hard working and professional guys and gals.

Dave.

That's a bummer Miroslav but maybe there is an upside? Perhaps you don't suffer the rip offs, shoddy work and abandoned builds that are rife in this country with its largely unregulated trades?

The sad part is that we still suffer from plenty of shoddy work and rip offs. A contractor, by definition is a person who you pay to do the work you won't or can't do. DIY is always a pain in the ass, but it's normally 50 percent of contractors cost. So, right off the bat, you're sunk. And just because they're in business and approved by The Better Business Bureau, Angies' List, and your next-door neighbor, doesn't mean they do good work. Shoddy seems to be a universal function of humanity.

As for inspector clipboard, he's a nice enough guy as long as he's signing the forms an moving along on his merry way. The minute he throws up a roadblock, he's a flaming Nazi. What kills me most is the post build inspection. Five minutes for pulling on a wire, pushing a joist, and tapping some drywall and he's out. The clipboard paperwork gets checked, you get your copy and, viola, all the confidence in the world that you are 100 percent safe and sound. :laughings:

My wife always asks me when we will design and build our dream home with a giant recording studio on one side, a full ceramics workshop on the other, and a small kitchenette/toilet/sleeping area in the middle. I say never. It would be easier to build a coffin and just crawl in it and expire. :laughings:

Well...I'm certainly not letting this be any roadblock...I just have to find a new contractor...one that has more local history and knows the people in the Building Dept.
If there are legitimate costs for engineering, architectural drawings, etc...that's just the part of the total build expense.
I wish I knew right off this guy wasn't going to be allowed to build something this involved (I didn't think it was that involved) because he needs a specific NY license...I kinda wasted a month now, but Monday I will be on the phone, and I already put out a call yesterday, and hoping another guy will call/stop by over the weekend.

Not much of an update...but just to keep this thread somewhat alive.

So I've been chasing a new contractor, he said he would stop by before the end of the week to see what I want done. This guy at least has a serious crew, and while his main focus is the framing, he has all the other necessary sub-contractors on tap. He was recommended by a guy who's done work for me (roof, deck, etc) that didn't want to get into this type of project.
We'll see if this pans out...but based on our phone conversation, the guys sounded positive and was confident that we could have this all wrapped up by end of summer, early fall...which is my target.
One thing is clear, I will have to go the architect/engineering route, mostly because of the septic tie-in...and if we do the planned 34' long open cathedral ceiling, which needs to be certified for load bearing and all that exciting stuff.

That said...I've been considering my option C (not sure if I mentioned this before)...and that means looking for a new house altogether. I've been casually checking out the market in the three counties around me, and while I've found a few nice properties, most of them are focused on the whole multi-bedroom/multi-bathroom layout, plus the basic den/2-car garage stuff....which is great for a family of 5, but a lot of bedrooms and bathrooms that make up the total square footage is of little use to me. I need a house that has 2, maybe 3 bedrooms...with 2.5 or 3 bathrooms...but also a couple of large open spaces other than the living room/dinning room thing.
I found many that were "OK"...but TBH, doing the addition and remodel at my current house would be a better end-result, for less $$$ (more left over to outfit the studio even better)...and no crazy moving (that's the part I'm least interested in, but would do it for a "perfect" new place).

Anyway...last night a house came on the market only about 10 minutes from where I live, in the nearby small town that I go to quite often. It's just on the outskirts of the town, so you could walk/bike into the village, which has a nice center with shops and places to eat, and has that rural charm, but with all the necessary amenities...big supermarket (I go there often), hardware and other types of supply stores...and a Micky-D's. :)
The house is on a dead-end street...which is kinda like my current place, which is a cul-de-sac...so only people that come down the street are the ones who live there. Has the same amount of land as my place, but the best thing is the layout, with a really great lower floor that has an almost perfect studio layout, with one big space and a second large room...and on top of that, there's a huge 3-car garage that provides alternative studio potential.

So I'm kinda torn now between the addition/remodel or maybe make the house move. I think I may at least go check it out in person with a real estate agent.
The price is right and I probably spent at least 3 hours last night looking over the listing pictures and details...which is way more than I've done with any of the others that I've kinda bookmarked. There was an immediately appealing feng shui vibe...like I really could see myself living there...a very sweet layout overall.
OK...I think I've almost talked myself into calling the real estate agent for an appointment. :D

Not much of an update...but just to keep this thread somewhat alive.

So I've been chasing a new contractor, he said he would stop by before the end of the week to see what I want done. This guy at least has a serious crew, and while his main focus is the framing, he has all the other necessary sub-contractors on tap. He was recommended by a guy who's done work for me (roof, deck, etc) that didn't want to get into this type of project.
We'll see if this pans out...but based on our phone conversation, the guys sounded positive and was confident that we could have this all wrapped up by end of summer, early fall...which is my target.
One thing is clear, I will have to go the architect/engineering route, mostly because of the septic tie-in...and if we do the planned 34' long open cathedral ceiling, which needs to be certified for load bearing and all that exciting stuff.

That said...I've been considering my option C (not sure if I mentioned this before)...and that means looking for a new house altogether. I've been casually checking out the market in the three counties around me, and while I've found a few nice properties, most of them are focused on the whole multi-bedroom/multi-bathroom layout, plus the basic den/2-car garage stuff....which is great for a family of 5, but a lot of bedrooms and bathrooms that make up the total square footage is of little use to me. I need a house that has 2, maybe 3 bedrooms...with 2.5 or 3 bathrooms...but also a couple of large open spaces other than the living room/dinning room thing.
I found many that were "OK"...but TBH, doing the addition and remodel at my current house would be a better end-result, for less $$$ (more left over to outfit the studio even better)...and no crazy moving (that's the part I'm least interested in, but would do it for a "perfect" new place).

Anyway...last night a house came on the market only about 10 minutes from where I live, in the nearby small town that I go to quite often. It's just on the outskirts of the town, so you could walk/bike into the village, which has a nice center with shops and places to eat, and has that rural charm, but with all the necessary amenities...big supermarket (I go there often), hardware and other types of supply stores...and a Micky-D's. :)
The house is on a dead-end street...which is kinda like my current place, which is a cul-de-sac...so only people that come down the street are the ones who live there. Has the same amount of land as my place, but the best thing is the layout, with a really great lower floor that has an almost perfect studio layout, with one big space and a second large room...and on top of that, there's a huge 3-car garage that provides alternative studio potential.

So I'm kinda torn now between the addition/remodel or maybe make the house move. I think I may at least go check it out in person with a real estate agent.
The price is right and I probably spent at least 3 hours last night looking over the listing pictures and details...which is way more than I've done with any of the others that I've kinda bookmarked. There was an immediately appealing feng shui vibe...like I really could see myself living there...a very sweet layout overall.
OK...I think I've almost talked myself into calling the real estate agent for an appointment. :D

I would definitely take a look. If you have a good house inspector and you really like the place , that would certainly be my next step(pro inspection, I mean)

I would definitely take a look. If you have a good house inspector and you really like the place , that would certainly be my next step(pro inspection, I mean)

So today the new contractor I was in touch with called, and he is coming over to tomorrow to see what it is I want done.
I'm going to see how positive that conversation is...and it if this guy also makes it seem like there's going to be a lot of complications or whatever...I am most definitively going to go look at that house I found. Actually...I'm calling tomorrow to set up an appointment regardless what the contractor says. At least that way I'll know for sure if that house is something I could seriously consider, or I scratch it...meanwhile until the contractor is ready to break ground, I will keep checking for any houses that come on the market that fit my needs.

I never thought it would this hard to find a house that had a couple of fairly large rooms that weren't bedrooms/living room, etc...heck, a few had some fantastic living room spaces, with the 20' cathedral ceilings...and on more than one occasion I thought maybe just go with that and the heck with it, setup a studio in the living room space. I wouldn't be the first person to do that...but I was really hoping to have a more specific, dedicated studio space.

Oh...so the one thing about this house I want to see...the potential studio space(s) are quite large...one room is 30x30, with an adjoining 12x28' room, plus another 12x28 foot room that could be added....all one next to the other. The only "downside"...it won't have the high ceiling, since the rooms are on the lower floor...but if everything else is as good as it looks in the pictures...I can live that. It won't be perfect, but the 30x30' space will make up for it as a main room, with the 12x28 space as the "live" room.

Anyway...maybe after I talk to the contractor tomorrow, things will be a bit more in focus. At least he was very positive about the build being very doable by the end of the summer.
I'll be honest...moving ain't easy or fun. Just moving my studio from its current location to this new build if it happens, is going to be a lot of work, but at least I could do that at my leisure and I'm not having to load a truck and cart it to another house.
If I can do the build the way I want it...I think I would prefer that...but again, this house I found is pretty sweet, inside. My property is a bit nicer, more private, but this other place isn't bad at all, just different kind of property layout.

Back