Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: New studio space...considering my options.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponder5 View Post
    Reading what little I have, I wonder if anywhere during the process, you ever used the words "studio" or "business"?
    It's going to be called a home "recreation & entertainment media room"....or what use to be officially referred to as a "den" back in simpler times.
    I've seen some expensive homes with small theatres inside, so this is not some oddity anymore, to have a "media" room...and my spare storage areas are going to be identified as media equipment spaces...not as "closets" which always implies more living/bedroom space.

The other thing...if you missed it...this is an existing space, so I can already use it for whatever, and all I'm looking to do is expand it by 10' on two sides.
    It's a lot different than if I was building something 100% new, from the ground up.

Also...I have no plans to open this as any official business. If that should somewhat change down the road, it's not going to be much of an issue, considering that you can have a home business without too much trouble.
    Yeah, if I was to say that I was building a commercial recording studio...that would certainly raise some questions, and might require all kinds of additional documentation, etc.

This existing space was a guest room....basically like a large hotel style bedroom and sitting area. The fact that I'm turning into a entertainment/media room actually works in my favor, since it lowers the bedroom count (they use that for computing how many people can possibly live in the house)...and it gives it a more locked-in usage. That said, everyone is allowed to have a piano or to play music in their spare bedrooms or dens...so no real problem there.

This is small rural township....so they have some rules and regs, but it's not anything like you might see in some real controlled suburban areas or like a HOA, which I would ever live in, no matter how appealing it might be. Those places get so friggin' control-happy, that you could get flack for painting your house some unacceptable colors if the community board or HOA didn't like it.
    I have a pretty good argument to make, which I will do politely and with plenty of details...making it harder for them to just say "No", like if I went in with not much to say or provide support for the justification.

I do have my Plan B option, which will give me a net total space that is as big as the one I'm looking to do...I will just have to move it to the other side of the house, right up against my existing studio space (which is a positive thing overall)...but it pushes out the house lines in a way that is not as appealing as what I want to do with my Plan A.
    Like I said...worst case I'm about the cost of the architect and some permit fees...because I would have to come back with the new plan, and again engage the architect...but I am going to show my contractor what my Plan B would be, and see if I can work a "just in case" deal with him and his architect, so that I get some break if we have to do drawings a second time. I mean, his goal is to build me something...rather than lose the job altogether, and he's pretty easy to work with.

Thanks
    i don't really understand the point of an iso booth. if you're using the room for recording ,you can track all the basic tracks and then do overdubs in the same room.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky123 View Post
    i don't really understand the point of an iso booth. if you're using the room for recording ,you can track all the basic tracks and then do overdubs in the same room.
    Uh-oh... you mighta cracked open a can of worms.

I was once of your opinion... until i built an iso booth.

Then I wondered how i ever got along without one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky123 View Post
    You're assuming that all recording will always only be done by one player...one track at a time. If you have a singer and other players...you may need to do some separation or even complete isolation.
    Also...the iso-booth isn't just for isolation. There are times when you may want a dead sounding vibe to a track, so you can then treat the track a certain way later on, without any of the room sound.
    There's also times where you may want to stick an amp in there set on "11"...which might be too overwhelming in a big, open space to give you the sound you desire.

I certainly wouldn't want an entire song to be tracked in a dead iso-booth...and I also think vocals will sound better in a more open and somewhat live space rather than always doing them in a booth...but if you can have a decent iso-booth, it can come in handy for a lot of things. Also, the booth has to be a decent size, even if you're going for a more dead sound. I don't think something the size od an old-school telephone booth is really the best way to go, or that it sounds the same as a bigger iso-booth.
    There are iso-rooms...fairly large but meant for isolation, and not necessarily always dead. They could just have a very short decay, but not 100% dead, which is something mostly used for voice narration, though not always needing to be 100% dead.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    I think Miroslav hits the spot with "dead" iso-booth? So often noobish folk come on the forum saying they want to build a "vocal booth", mainly to tame room modes or/and noises off. Invariably such proposes booths are tiny, often just a walk in cupboard they hope to utilize.

I think the booth idea started in busy news studios? A place for the anchor isolated from the babble and phones? Also, stuffed to deadness it gave the (radio) listener a disembodied voice devoid of "place" and thus their own room added to that and the announcer seemed part of the room with them.

To expect anyone to sing with any passion in a phone box is daft!

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    I think Miroslav hits the spot with "dead" iso-booth? So often noobish folk come on the forum saying they want to build a "vocal booth", mainly to tame room modes or/and noises off. Invariably such proposes booths are tiny, often just a walk in cupboard they hope to utilize.

I think the booth idea started in busy news studios? A place for the anchor isolated from the babble and phones? Also, stuffed to deadness it gave the (radio) listener a disembodied voice devoid of "place" and thus their own room added to that and the announcer seemed part of the room with them.

To expect anyone to sing with any passion in a phone box is daft!

Dave.
    About 16 minutes in...

A luxury item for the home studio.If one can fit you're living large.

G

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    A luxury item for the home studio. If one can fit you're living large.
    I wish I could go that big with an iso-booth/room (I assume that's what you're referring to).

Right now, I'm planning a pair of 6'W x 9'L x 8'H spaces...one for the iso-booth and the other for storage.
    I have the option of letting the height/ceilings go all the way open to the same cathedral height, and just cut in half vertically...but IMO, that doesn't really add anything...so I am going to cap the, off a the 8' height...or maybe even 10'....?

I could certainly use the entire 6' x 18' space as a very long iso-room...and forget the storage, but I really need a place for mics, stands, etc...otherwise, it's all going to be scattered around the big room, or I would have to store it in some other part of the house, which is possible, but a PITA having to go get it when needed.

I even thought about moving that "inside" wall out further...and having like two rooms...a bigger space and a iso-room/live room space...but TBH, that would only be of real value if I was going to be doing a lot of outside recording work, which I am not planning to. This space is primarily for my use, my projects, and whatever outside recording occurs, it will be in-line with that, so I will make use of the single big space in an acceptable manner, and having the one 6x9 iso-booth is really for "just in case". I also plan to insulate/isolate the storage space as much as the iso-booth...so if I have to ever stick an amp in there while someone is using the iso-booth...etc...it will work.

I can look at a lot of commercial studios and let my imagination go wild, and it would be WAY cool to go for a major studio build...but it's not what I really need now. If it was 20 years ago...I would pursue that, and be more interested in having lots of people coming/going and all that. Right now, I have a ton of music that I need to start/work on/and finish...all in different stages...so I just have to stay focused on that and not go off in some "wouldn't it be nice" fantasy direction.
    It's my space to work on my stuff. Anything else that comes in will be something I am interested in working on, and no "for hire" scenarios. I don't need that headache, and not to mention, going in some "business" direction would require a lot more planning and issues to deal with, not to mention insurance, and all that.

Here's a scan of my rough drawing and layout, that gives some idea of what I'm looking to do. The dotted line is the existing structure.

StudioBuild01.pdf

Thanks

There's a point in the video that isn't mentioned specifically, but comes across quite obviously, and I think many home studio builders should consider when they're dividing up a modest space into a small control room & live space...and then planning to also mix in that control room.

You can see in the video that most of the control rooms are pretty tight, even smallish, with the gear behind the mix positions right there, up your butt.
    The point is...there is a difference between a "control room" and a "mixing room" space. Oh sure, many a Rock album was mixed in the same or similar control room environment, but obviously, done by pros who knew the room and knew the gear.
    So for the home studio crowd, when you create a small 10'x10' control room just so you can have the separation from the live room (or the perception of a pro studio )...consider that mixing in that little box will be a major PITA.

Anyway...my feeling has always been that if I can't have two 20'x30' (or there about) spaces that I can use for that control room/live room setup...the single open space is going to be preferred. The trick then of course is to get a good blend of a single space tracking room & mixing room...and that's kind of where my thoughts are for my new studio build. Considering how best to balance the treatment and feel of the one big room for both tasks.
    I'm thinking it's going to somewhat live...with a more dead/absorptive/diffusive back end, so that during mixing the sound has a good distance to go, and then doesn't just come back at the mix position with first/direct reflections.
    In the video...(and considering that the sound is being recorded by a camera mic)...the overall sound quality of Studio 2 is kinda what I think I want to go for.

The "control room" consideration is simply dealt with by the use of headphones during tracking...and a bit more rewind/playback style of monitoring, with more test takes at the outset...etc....so that's not a real issue, IMO, and it's the way I've been working for a long time now.

Thanks
    Now I get it.Lost in translation on my part.
    One big audio rumpus room.
    Some of my posts may have made no sense then.

G

Like this but on a smaller scale?
    Church Studios
    d32043b07c90015b0b438456211b49d3-jpg
    Last edited by sasquatch; 4 Weeks Ago at 14:32.

Thanks
    Now I get it.Lost in translation on my part.
    One big audio rumpus room.
    Some of my posts may have made no sense then.

G

Like this but on a smaller scale?
    Church Studios
    d32043b07c90015b0b438456211b49d3-jpg
    Oh yes...absolutely!

Believe me, during my real estate window shopping excursions, I kept an eye out for an old church that could be gotten for cheap. I mean, to find something like that space for a decent price...I would even be happy to sell my house and move to some more remote, smaller town, because that's often where you will see older church buildings available.

But yeah...that's what I'm going for. No where near that size and with that ceiling height, but that's the idea, though in my case, I will have the console facing the 180 degrees opposite, so that I'm firing down into the room. It's hard to tell in the picture how much space is behind the console, so it may be even much bigger than what the picture shows.

Thread Information