New Studio / Music Room

million dollar question....does it work? To your satisfaction?

Ha! LOL. I'll let you know when I'm satisfied. :D Dissatisfaction is the impetus for all progress.

I can say that the room sounds quite dead. You can tell by the measurements and by simply clapping. But I'm mixing mostly close miked acoustic instruments. No classical or big sounds that would require a big sound stage.

It's also fairly flat with a db range of about 8db--from 45hz to 400hz and from 400hz to 10k. Most acoustics experts would argue anything under 10db is good for a home studio

There is also very little low end ringing. So my ability to judge low frequencies is pretty good.

Do mixes translate? Well I'm working on it. I have some stuff posted in the Mp3 clinic. But everything is a work in progress. The room is only a foundation that you have to fill with experience and talent. It's a process and will probably never end.

OK. So I'll do the demolition anyway. The room is currently worthless, so we may as well. That'll take a few weeks. Once its down to the bare bones, is there a benefit to using REW? I don't really know what REW is. But my guess is a reference mic, and software. Probably more to it than that. But the bigger question is this...are you folks ready to talk an ignoramus through doing it and then interpreting the results for said ignoramus ? If so, I'm game. And grateful.

OK. So I'll do the demolition anyway. The room is currently worthless, so we may as well. That'll take a few weeks. Once its down to the bare bones, is there a benefit to using REW? I don't really know what REW is. But my guess is a reference mic, and software. Probably more to it than that. But the bigger question is this...are you folks ready to talk an ignoramus through doing it and then interpreting the results for said ignoramus ? If so, I'm game. And grateful.

Room EQ Wizzard is free. A measurement mic will cost $50-$100 bucks. AV Nirvana as a support forum that will answer all your questions. And youtube has some usage tutorials. There is also a lot of info tucked away on the net. Google is your friend.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but over a couple of days you should get the hang of it. Besides, you don't need to be an expert. You just need to look at a few graphs and move ahead with your room treatments.

Regardless of what the numbers tell you, you will probably need some basic treatments that get suggested for almost all rooms. You can make them yourself or buy them. These include a ceiling cloud, corner bass traps (floor to ceiling) and traps at the first reflection points. I would get started on that along with figuring out your electrical and whether you want to add drywall over the concrete. Some would argue that it's a must-do, but it's your budget.

who says you need to see the performer?you just need hear him/her.

This is just a guess, but he may be the performer and the engineer. A lot of home studio types work this way when they record themselves. But you're right, the live room could be somewhere else. He just has to annex the master bedroom and get some cables there. :D

I've thought many times about remotely tracking myself far from the mixing desk. I'm not sure how that would work, but I'm sure there are ways. I'm just not sure I want to go that far.

Back