Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Studio / Music Room

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    In a room that small, I would not try to set the desk facing into the room, you just don't have the space to position it accurately. Put the desk facing the wall - put a mirror on the wall if you need to see the singer all the time, but really, once you have hit the 'record' button, you dont' have to be riding the controls, just turn around on your chair!.
    You can build your own rockwool or compressed fiberglass traps. Corners - floor to ceiling, ceiling cloud, other walls (or, if you have 2x4s open, add the rockwool between them and put a cloth covering on.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    mjbphotos, is it worth re-shaping the room to make it less square? Like the last two pics I added on page 1. Or should I keep it square and spend the money on absorption panels? I've read that approx 20-25% coverage with sound absorption is a decent target. Would that hold true here? How much of the remaining space should I aim to have filled with diffusers?

Thanks
    A couple of general points. In order to establish a decent sounding room for mixing, you will have to put in a substantial number of bass traps. Once that is done, the room is likely to sound very dead and would not be great for a "live room" for performers. Besides, once it is fully trapped, they might be sitting in your lap. Keep in mind that in order to be effective, most traps would need to be fairly thick. Four inches is sort of a minimum, and the corners would probably have to be more like 24-36" to be effective. I have my doubts about 4-6" of rock wool across the corners, especially in a square room. You will also need a ceiling cloud trap which would also start at about 4" with a gap of about the same dimension. So you can see how quickly things will fill in.

The luddites around here will scorn me for this, but you should consider looking at a room mode calculator or using measurement to learn more about the problems you face. I would also get some input from a retailer (like GIK). DIY trapping is cheaper, but you may need to hit this space with some well designed traps, including soffit traps.

None of this means you can't have fun or can't eventually produce some nice music. It's just that square rooms are notoriously tough to treat. In the end, you may have to accept some compromises, and you may have to rely on a combination of monitors and headphones.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggaluggs View Post
    mjbphotos, is it worth re-shaping the room to make it less square? Like the last two pics I added on page 1. Or should I keep it square and spend the money on absorption panels? I've read that approx 20-25% coverage with sound absorption is a decent target. Would that hold true here? How much of the remaining space should I aim to have filled with diffusers?

I'd avoid diffusion for know. Most of the diffusion literature suggests that you need at least 8 ft. behind the mixing position to place diffusion. And ceiling mounted diffusers are thought to be more successful with taller ceilings-12 to 14 ft. You have enough issues right now without trying to add diffusers. Besides, they are very expensive unless you go with EPS diffusors (styrofoam) or build your own.

Thanks
    Reshaping the room to make it non-square would mean a pretty substantial reduction in volume. You are already working on a small space. Making it smaller could make things less ergonomic when all the trapping is installed. Plus, the question is how far in do you build the wall? You could look at a room mode calculator, but it could come down to an educated guess. And that's a tough decision when you are talking about studs, multiple layers of drywall, insulation, etc. It's not something you just move around.

In thinking about this, you might also look at ideal room ratios. See if there is anything closing matching a 14x room (e.g., 14x12, 14x10, etc.). There are a bunch of ratios out there so you might be able to use one to get insight into the wall decision. Again, it's making the room smaller, so choose wisely.

Thanks
    shutters-jpgshutters-jpg

Would these work as diffuers? I can get these for $5 each and cover some wall space with them.

Thanks
    Well........I have to admit that it's a good question. Shutters. Obviously there would be "some" diffusion....and to some degree......they would be adjustable based on measurements. But in reality.......probably not useful.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Also, if I'm facing the wall ¼ of the way, that's 3½ ft. My desk and monitors will be flush against that wall. Is that right?
    You will read all kinds of opinions on this. Just go over to gearsluts. I can summarize the differences pretty simply by saying that 38 percent is the rule (roughly 1/3) but it's not really a rule. It's only a place to start. The revisionists argue, based on a lot of measurement and personal experience, that flush with the wall works better. Just look at a pro studio. The monitors will be flush mounted inside the front wall. But, unless you're planning this strategy, the best you can do is place your speakers as close to the wall as possible. They have to be angled (toed in) so it's impossible to go closer than about 3-4."

The reality of placement is that you will never know which spot is best unless you have trained ears, know exactly what to listen for, use test tones, or measure using something like REW (Room EQ Wizzard).

Thanks
    shutters-jpgshutters-jpg

Would these work as diffuers? I can get these for $5 each and cover some wall space with them.
    Diffusion generally has to be designed with an exact shape determined by formula. Book shelves, shutters, and other items will have unknown scattering effects. In short, you won't know what they are doing or if they are actually working.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    Well........I have to admit that it's a good question. Shutters. Obviously there would be "some" diffusion....and to some degree......they would be adjustable based on measurements. But in reality.......probably not useful.

I shutter to think of what would happen if all those were installed on the real wall.

(Somebody had to say it)

Thread Information