New recording place.

mjbphotos

For the 14(!) years I've been on this forum learning about recording and tracking spaces, I've been using an almost-square room with low ceiling to record and mix. A lot of painful (listening) learning. I shared the room with a dining hutch, all the 'every day' computer stuff', filing cabinet. storage shelves, all my instruments, etc.
With a recent separation and move, I now have effectively doubled my space. Enough so that all my instruments plus PA gear can be stored in the closet (behind the tapestry). Just tracked a few acoustic guitar and vocal tracks, but really have not started to 'learn' the room yet. I'll miss my ceiling cloud, I know, but can't put holes in the ceiling to hang anything.
Studio 1.jpg
Studio 2.jpg
Studio 3.jpg
Studio 4.jpg]

Hey...bigger is always better...well, almost always. :D

If you can't drill the ceiling...how about using the walls, some kind of rods between then, and then the cloud on that...etc...?

Hey...bigger is always better...well, almost always. :D

If you can't drill the ceiling...how about using the walls, some kind of rods between then, and then the cloud on that...etc...?

I was thinking something along the same lines, since I won't be able to put holes in the ceiling either. What about a PVC pipe frame that can contain both side panels and a cloud? The only thing is I think there may need to be some sort of cross member at the floor level, unless somebody has a better idea.

The room is 10.5' across, Would need to use at least 1-1/2" PVC pipe and even then there would be some sagging - and it would not look good. I'm going to see how mixes turn out before looking at any options.

Go with galvanized pipe frame. Home Depot, in my town anyway, will cut and thread pipe for you. 1/2" should be fine with minimal sag.

Go with galvanized pipe frame. Home Depot, in my town anyway, will cut and thread pipe for you. 1/2" should be fine with minimal sag.

might be pretty tough getting 10' plus length of piping into most apartment buildings, not to mention neighbors will probably be hurrying to the rental office to rat you out.

Sorry to hear about the separation. I hope all goes well for all involved. :(

Would need to use at least 1-1/2" PVC pipe and even then there would be some sagging -
There would be a lot of sagging.

I used 1/2 pipe like, Jimmy said, for a green screen backdrop. I used eye hooks in the ceiling. I understand you can't do that, but maybe there is an alternative. Or you just spackle and paint the holes before moving out....

Or, you just go without a cloud.

Either way, keep on rockin.

might be pretty tough getting 10' plus length of piping into most apartment buildings, not to mention neighbors will probably be hurrying to the rental office to rat you out.

2 5' sections X2 with couplers in between for the stealth entry to apartment. :)

Looks like about $200+ to build a 2 tier frame with fittings tho.

What I did was very much just built a freestanding “room within a room” using standard 2x4 framing techniques to make two walls and ceiling (well, it’s 2 x 4’ sections of each to cover 8’ at the front of the room...) that spans between them. Insulation between the studs and fabric to cover the inside. No sheetrock or anything. Works really well, can come out any time, no modification to the existing walls/ceiling, and the whole thing was cheaper than that pipe frame they’re talking about.

2 5' sections X2 with couplers in between for the stealth entry to apartment. :)

Looks like about $200+ to build a 2 tier frame with fittings tho.

would galvanized be sturdy enough to make a frame of four legs and a rectangle on the top without any need for long pieces on the floor?

You know...I don't get why the deal with the ceiling, but you're allowed to put holes in the walls to hang stuff, like pictures, etc...?

I would think you could use 4 small screw-in eye-hooks, into the celling...add some wire...and then hang a frame off them.
There would only be 4 small holes in the ceiling that could be easily spackled and painted if/when you left the place.

I would offer to have the ceiling repainted at your cost when you leave...and in return be allowed to place those 4 hooks into it, so you could hang your cloud from it. Not seeing why anyone would object to that...the ceiling would look as good as new...no permanent marks.

You know...I don't get why the deal with the ceiling, but you're allowed to put holes in the walls to hang stuff, like pictures, etc...?

I would think you could use 4 small screw-in eye-hooks, into the celling...add some wire...and then hang a frame off them.
There would only be 4 small holes in the ceiling that could be easily spackled and painted if/when you left the place.

I would offer to have the ceiling repainted at your cost when you leave...and in return be allowed to place those 4 hooks into it, so you could hang your cloud from it. Not seeing why anyone would object to that...the ceiling would look as good as new...no permanent marks.

or not even say anything and see if they even notice. I know it's kind of sneaky but I've heard years about about the old toothpaste trick. Obviously not any funky blue or green or whatever, but plain white toothpaste can fill those screw holes in the ceiling and nobody would be the wiser. :D

never having built a cloud, how much do they weigh? If I go that route, I can use gobos as my wall treatment, yes?

Weight is dependent upon the construction. I have 6 2' x 4' x 2" thick panels built with drywall corner bead frames/Rockwool. They are maybe 15 lbs each. I move them around all the time.

And I agree that just a stud finder, some construction screws and spacers. Mount a couple of galvanized pipes across the ceiling to floor joists above. Then wire the clouds to that. 4 holes to fill later. Sounds the simplest and cheapest.

Spackle paste better than tooth. And I think cheaper as well. Not as good for teeth tho.. lol

I mean sure you give up some width but it doesn’t have to be more than you’d lose hanging standard 4” baffles. I wanted mine full coverage floor to ceiling to get some corner trapping action out of them, but one could just as easily only put insulation in the voids that correspond to reflection points and then like build shelves into the rest or something.

The problem is finding studs to put the hangers into, located in the right places.

The problem is finding studs to put the hangers into, located in the right places.

I would guess they should be 16" OC...unless it's some older structure.
So even if the studs/joists don't fall perfectly where you want them, they should be close enough, to where you need them... and with hooks and wire, you would be able to hang a light frame with some "cloud" material. I think if you went for a 6'x8' cloud...the whole thing wouldn't be more than 40-50lbs, which would be OK for 4 hooks into the joists to support. I think each hook would be good for 30-40lbs easy, if they are long enough...so probably even more weight would be safe.

I'm sure you're smart enough to rig something up that will cause minimal ceiling damage, and give you what you want.

Back