New monitor not receiving power

malgovert

Good morning

There’s a chance this could be a really daft question but it’s got to be asked. I am revamping the studio and I just bought a new monitor - hp elite 230t. The first thing I wanted to do was check that it works, so I just connected the power cord and tried to switch it on. I haven’t connected it to the computer, there are no other leads connected to it, haven’t installed any software or anything- first thing I just wanted to check that I can switch it on. I am right, am I not, in thinking that with the power cord plugged in to a functioning outlet, the power switch at the back in the on position, and the power button on the front bottom right pressed that at the very least some sort of light should come on, despite the fact that nothing else has been set up yet? My own conclusion is that the monitor is probably defective. Thanks a lot.

Do you have the user manual? Despite a few minutes searching I cannot find one.

Why do mnfctrs DO this? Why is it so hard to just say, " want a 'king user manual? Click here"
Job's a good'un.

But yes, I would expect at least an LED to light up but very often the screen shows "NO VIDEO SIGNAL PRESENT" You will have to connect it to something via VGA, HDMI or other to absolutely prove it faulty.

In the very rare chance that the monitor is in some form of 'lockup state' you might have to run the PC in Safe Mode which will I believe work anything even in the absence of the drivers?

Dave.

My word, gecko, you were spot on! And thanks so much for the link! ��

Thanks too ecc - I got nothing at all until I had connected everything, installed all the drivers, and restarted the computer!

OK so it’s all set up... Next question: everything is fine until I plug the monitor (Screen) in, then I get this really loud buzzing coming out of the monitors (speakers). Setup is this: I have a double US 110v wall outlet. In one I have a 110 - 220v converter leading to a UK extension strip. Most of my gear is 220v. The monitor is 110-240v, but it has a US plug, so I have that plugged into the other wall outlet. The monitor is connected to the computer (a laptop -basically I want to use the drives on the laptop but ditch the screen and keyboard in favor of external devices) which is connected to the audio interface, which is connected to the monitors - regular setup. The noise is only there when the monitor is connected. The only thing that seems out of order is the uk extension has a red light on indicating that the wall socket is not grounded - but that light remains on when I disconnect the monitor and the noise stops, and was there before I even purchased the monitor. I am using balanced cables from the monitors to the audio interface. Any ideas?

My first thought with this (wtgr!) lash up is...IS everything earthed that SHOULD be earthed?

So, if you don't already have one, get a cheap, $20 digital multi-meter (that's ALL of you!) and cold check earth lines in the mains cables and ensure earths go to any exposed metalwork.

Now, am I correct in saying "all is quiet UNTIL the monitor display is connected? If so, do you have a domestic telly, FSTV, that you can beg, or borrow? Virtually all tellies you see use a 2 core cable but most have a VGA input and ALL have HDMI so try that.
Assuming that fixes the hum you have a decision to make. Look for an earth free monitor or another way to break the SIGNAL* earth path. There is a good chance you see that isolating the monitor speaker XLR cable grounds, either by breaking pin one connections or with a transformer box, will fix the hum but it is only a bit of a kludge since the mon/display is still the real problem and the addition of future gear could put you back to square one.

*Never, EVER removed mains safety earths.

Dave.

Lash up?!! Why, that’s a trifle harsh! I’m working under a lot of constraints here, most notably that the property isn’t mine and I am not authorized to make any alterations etc., and half the outlets in it are US 110 and the other half UK220v. In the studio room they are all 110, but most of my gear is 220, and the US 110 gear will also run on 220v, so ideally I would like to do that - which is what I did in the old place and there were no issues.

Which got me thinking, what if I take the monitor plug out of the 110 source and plug it into a 220 source - maybe it’s the mix of the two voltages going into the one circuit that is causing the problem. And funnily enough, it did reduce the noise considerably. The monitor is connected to the laptop by usb and by hdmi.

Is all quiet until the monitor display is connected? Not quite, there is a slight crackle which again I never had in the old place, so now I am thinking maybe it’s because the laptop is still running off a 110 outlet, when everything else is running off 220. Or maybe it’s the wall socket itself.

I wouldn’t have embarked on this if the keyboard on my super pricey laptop of 2 years hadn’t packed up - I thought well if I am getting an external keyboard might as well get a monitor as well and use the laptop as the cpu- make some space on the desk. It’s not as bad as it sounds - the crackle now is barely audible and doesn’t get louder when I crank up the music so it’s easily drowned out - I would just rather it wasn’t there at all...

I’m no electrician, but I make good music, or at least I like to try...!

BTW, cannot figure out ‘wtgr!’ - or don’t I want to know?! :)

Just tried plugging the laptop into 220 source, so everything now running off 220v Seems to have done the trick - all is quiet... for now...:)

Hah! Well, "With The Greatest Respect" what would you call it? " A necessary contrivance"?

Ok so you had to do what you did to get working. Respect, been there, done that, got the burn marks...

Idea, the laptop PSU is 110V? (odd because most are universal these days) so get a new one and I can heartily recommend the Duracell DRAC 9006. 100 to 240V and 19V at 90 watts out and comes with a bag of various DC connectors plus it takes a bi-pin mains cable and is therefore earth free.

Fly in the emolument? Costs around £30 so pricier than most laptop supplies.

Are we cool now? Another thought... Do I understand you are running the laptop from another keyboard and mouse? If so a basic wireless setup might be less of a tangle. I have a Microsoft wireless keyboard with built in track pad for my living room PC, got it cheap at Sainsburys years ago.

Dave.

Everything is cool now! :) the laptop is dual voltage, so no problems running it off 220 converter, just needed to dig out another US-UK adapter, of which there is an ever-diminishing supply in this house!

Yes I have Logitech Craft wireless keyboard and cordless mouse. The laptop is on a small table down behind the main desk, so all wires are behind the desk.

Back