New Iso booth - no more NOISE

pure.fusion

Hi all. I've had a request to post some pics and info of my new ISO both.

I've been trying to deal with the very large volumes out of my Fender Blues Jr to obtain that classic Tube sound. When I say very large volume, of couese I'm not competing with a Laney Stack, just my domestic setting.

A friend of mine has to move house, and had a home made "vocal booth" setup. he made a pine frame, covered both sides with plaster and filled the middle with insulation; I don't know what type or how dense. He, also installed 2 power points, an offset hole at the bottom to pass a multicore cable through while still being insulated and a triple insulated window.

There were only three sides made and was meant to be erected in the corner of a room utilizing two walls of the room as the last two walls of the booth.

From reading here, I think his vocal booth suffered the same as many others; it was a big cube with no bass trapping and some foam type material (pictured) to squash the top end. So I imagine it would have produced a lifeless, bass boomy vocal.

It weighed a friggin' tonne.

i installed it, as best I could in the room available, and made it air tight against the bricks.

I threw the amp in and threw a mic against it and test the sound out on a song we were recording on the weekend. Sample Here

My own fault the amp settings had been changed in the rearranging of stuff; the bass too high and the treble too low, so it sounds a bit dark. But other than this, I can't really tell the difference in sound from the amp now being in the booth.

... although It's a heap less noisy :)

I haven't got SPL data for you unfortunately. But to give you some idea, before the iso booth, the amp made noise well and truly over the fence, over the road ind into the park over the road. People in the house would find it too load to do anything like watch TV, or even drown it our with other music - it was invasively loud, with an element of bass vibration.

Now, my wife can watch TV with the volume up higher than normal and not "be bothered" by the amp. The neighbors wouldn't even know it's happening.

I'm actually disappointed with the amount of isolation. While I was installing it I got my hopes up on how quiet the results would be. I remind myself that it *was* free and it's got a lot of sound to squash.

Where to from here? Well, I'll be experimenting with the amp sound in the booth, mic distance from the grill etc.

I don't know if I'm that keen to start treating the room with bass traps and diffusers etc to achieve a flat(er) response and to avoid a "put the ol' foam up" dead sounding room. If I go to that trouble, it's still just a small box room. If the Blues Jr recordings sound "ok" I won't bother. Of course I am curious to see the difference if I did treat it.

I mean what would vocals sound like in this booth if it were treated acoustically, but still just a small room? Would sound like acoustically treated small boxy room I guess. I dunno.

I wouldn't mind some feedback from those who own studio's on the sound of the sample above - as deep or as shallow as you like.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
FM

Attachments

• Booth1.jpg
    Booth1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 222
  • booth3.jpg
    booth3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 214
  • Booth2.jpg
    Booth2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 213
  • booth4.jpg
    booth4.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 212
FYI, the sax in the sample was recorded in the "control room" with an SM57.

Attachments

• Finish-Bass-trap.jpg
    Finish-Bass-trap.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 202
I haven't got SPL data for you unfortunately. But to give you some idea, before the iso booth, the amp made noise well and truly over the fence, over the road ind into the park over the road. People in the house would find it too load to do anything like watch TV, or even drown it our with other music - it was invasively loud, with an element of bass vibration.

Are you saying the amp was putting out that much noise from being inside that brick-walled studio room shown in your lower picture....???

I could understand a wood/sheetrock room...but not through brick walls. :eek:

Are you saying the amp was putting out that much noise from being inside that brick-walled studio room shown in your lower picture....???

Yea haha it looks like a bomb shelter! Just joking... looks like a great setup.

The sample sounded good. Just the bass didn't sound quite right. Might be these crappy speakers I'm listening to it with.

It's probably not the brick walls. The weak points are the the floor boards and the windows. The entire "ceiling" of that basement is really just a singe layer of (18mm?) wood. So the sound travels up with no problem. Then there is a window (pictured) right next to the iso booth.

Farno! I love my bomb shelter...

Cheers,
FM

Update:

Right. Now that the excitement has worn off and I've spent more time with the booth, there are two things to pass on.

1) I had a buddy of mine open the booth door while I was playing last night and it really highlighted it's effectiveness. The noise volume went from something you can hear in the background in the next room, to "I'M HERE IN YOUR FACE" type noise. So an extra tick for noise cancelation.

2) The sound of the amp int the booth is much worse than I thought, In fact, I couldn't get a good recorded sound out of it (in comparison to previous recordings). I get a hollow, wall-bouncy, in-accurate sound when close mic'ing. So remove a tick for sound quality.

So, not wanting to return to life without an iso booth, I am forced to acoustically treat it :(

Bass traps are a definite and If I can grow a brain in the next few months, I'll look in to diffusing the reflections with wood panneling, rather than just squashing it all with thin foam. The only up side is the fact that it's a small room to deal with, rather than my "control room" which was a long, heavy task to get finished.

Obviously, if there are any tips, info, suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,
FM

Look at an iso-box for the amp or close-placed gobo to kill reflections to the mic. You can also use panels for vocals as opposed to treating the whole room.

lou

Look at an iso-box for the amp or close-placed gobo to kill reflections to the mic. You can also use panels for vocals as opposed to treating the whole room.

Hey cool.

Can you explaion a bit further?

How many, and from which direction do I want to "gobo" the amp? Left, right, front, back and top?

When you say panels for vocals as opposed to treating the whole room, you mean wood panels or absorbing gobo? Where would these be placed?

Awesome info Lou; it may save me a whole bunch of money and time :)

FM

Hey I'm no expert. I'm trying to figure out how best (cheapest) to treat my space. I would think one of your bass traps set up vertically and not parallel a few feet from the amp would absorb/deflect enough waves away from the mic to get cleaner results. If they're not all permanently mounted play around with one.

The vocal idea I got from one of the commercial guys; Real Traps or GIK.

lou

Back