New house, new studio space - Any advise Appreciated!

Drummerboy7816

Hi All,

I'm a drummer/guitarist and I'm recently moving to new house with a 12 x 16 space that I'm going to convert into my home studio. There is space right outside the room, separated by a door, that has a built in computer desk space which I'll have my computer/interface set up at. My goal is set up a live recording space in that room for my bands and music projects so that I can easily just record and mix relatively painlessly with solid results.

Here are some questions I wanted to seek out some advise/input for:

1. Since my Mics will all be in the room, but computer/audio interface will be outside of it, and I'll be wanting to keep the door closed for noise reasons, what is the best way to route the Mics cables (will be 12+ cables I think with drum mics and all) between the 2 spaces? I've seen the analog snakes but the cable between them seems thick and I would have to drill quite the hole to pass them through. Digital snake seems nice as the cable would be much smaller, but this is an expensive option it seems.
2. Most of the time I'll be on the drum set, but I would want a way to also remotely control and view the studio computer outside to start/stop recording and playback and such. What would be the best way to do this? Are there such things as wireless monitors? Would a wireless mouse/keyboard be able to work about 20 feet from the receiver attached to the computer, through solid wall/door?
3. For the audio interface, I have a Roland-Octa Capture that has worked okay for me in the past, but I will need more inputs for this live studio set up. I'm thinking I'll need at least 16 channels. My options are either to fork out another $500 for another Roland Octa Capture, or just to get a new/bigger audio interface. I do like the the Roland's "auto sense" feature where it auto sets the levels for all the inputs. Seems very convenient for live band rehearsal recordings where each session the amp volumes and mic placements would be all different each time. Are there other larger options with this type of feature? What would be some good options?

I've played around lightly with home recording for awhile, but never spent too much time learning the depths of it, so any advise/help is appreciated!

re 2."Are there such things as wireless monitors?" Are you talking computer screen monitors or audio speaker monitors?

If the former, maybe an iPad or tablet that can pair with the studio computer might work as a remote stop/start device.

re 2."Are there such things as wireless monitors?" Are you talking computer screen monitors or audio speaker monitors?

If the former, maybe an iPad or tablet that can pair with the studio computer might work as a remote stop/start device.

Ah, I can see how that's confusing! Computer screen monitors i mean. Can the ipad be used to mirror a PC desktop screen somewhat smoothly? I never thought of that before but with my PC OS being Microsoft, I have a feeling it wouldn't play that nicely. Did a quick search and there is this Microsoft Remote Desktop app with mixed reviews. Anyone tried this path before?

Back