New House, New Studio...But First

packard76

**First Post**

Hello good people! We are moving to a new house, and I have a 12 x14 room dedicated to a home studio. My hope is to get this room properly treated without sacrificing too much space.
This room is a blank canvas and plenty of acoustic treatment (Owens Corning 703) will be available (hopefully).
Looking for advice on layout, treatment, and soundproofing the window and wall between the neighboring bedroom.

Additionally, I will be purchasing new monitors. What kind? I am considering the ADAM A77X near fields. This can change as I am wanting the right sized pair for the room. I'd hate to get something that's overkill.
The neighboring room will belong to my young son, I'd like to keep my late night sessions from disturbing him, if possible.

Placement of DAW/monitors might be tricky as there's a closet at the other end of the room.

To sum up I am hoping to get help with:

• Monitor type/size (2K budget, recommendations?)
  • Soundproofing for window/wall
  • Treatment options
  • DAW placement

Looking forward to your advice!

Studio_Layout_Blank.JPG

Hi Packard and welcome*.

Monitors? Unless you want seriously loud sound and trouser flapping bass the Neumann KH 80s get a very good rep at ~$1000 pair. If I had to chose I would go for PMC Result 6s but more than twice the price.

You cannot efectively sound PROOF that room. Monitors out from the short wall door end and the door and the wall opposite will come in for "reflection point" treatment.
Keep the woodblock floor as is but buy some heavy rugs. These can be rolled up to change the "brightness" of the room.

The L 2 W ratio is a good one. Height? You will surely need to trap the ***t out of it but I shall leave acoustic treatment advice to my youngers and betters otherwise.

*Oh! (fergot, OLD y'know) How did you manage to put a pikky there on your first post?

Dave.

The big issue you have here is 3 corners that won't allow a good triangular super chunk bass trap unless you block closet and window, or make the traps movable. 4" (or better - 6") thick movable panels that you can hang when mixing may be the best solution.

The big issue you have here is 3 corners that won't allow a good triangular super chunk bass trap unless you block closet and window, or make the traps movable. 4" (or better - 6") thick movable panels that you can hang when mixing may be the best solution.

Partly why I asked about height Mike. He might be able to put triangle traps all around the room above door and window? Maybe above the closet or even make the closet a trap!

Don't think it matters where you put them? They will still suck bass!

Dave.

I will be blocking the window, I was hoping to fashion something removable. I'd like to keep the closet, but not opposed to blocking it off. It is a carpeted floor (forgot to mention that)

Do you think the ADAM A77X monitors would be overkill? I am looking for near fields that a frequency response of 40Hz or lower.

Do you think the ADAM A77X monitors would be overkill? I am looking for near fields that a frequency response of 40Hz or lower.

Sub 40Hz might be a bit ambitious in a 14ft room but I am NO acoustician! I have nothing against the A77X except that I don't think the speaker layout lends itself to precise imaging? If you want substantial bass look at the Dynaudio Lyd 48. Some $500 over budget but this is how it goes I am afraid!

So, carpeted floor (looks like wo......?) ok well maybe get some sheets, 2x2mtrs of ply or hardboard to lay on the carpet, brightens up ac. guitar a treat.

Dave.

Back