New Home Studio Design

atelles

My wife and I are moving to a new flat and I will at last, have my own room to turn into a small personal recording studio. The room I'll be taking has 13.85 square meters of space, and is not perfectly square, but rather rectangular in shape.

Now I just wanted to ask for your professional opinion as to how I could both soundproof and treat the acoustics in the room to have a nice blend for both recording and mixing. The style of music I play is generally acoustic folk/rock. So there will be a lot of acoustic guitar and vocals being laid down. Occasionally, I will be recording electric guitar but I have an Eleven Rack to do so (without the worry of amplifiers). I also have a Roland TD-9K drumset, which naturally I do not have to worry about the sound quality for recording, or bothering the neighbors.

I do however wish to dampen the sound a bit, to make sure no one hears me and at the same time provide some great acoustics in the room. Now, I live in Switzerland so the walls are made of stone and are usually 4-6" thick and the floors are hardwood. I've included a diagram of what the layout of the room is and so if you could offer any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Studio Room.jpg
    Studio Room.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 88
My wife and I are moving to a new flat and I will at last, have my own room to turn into a small personal recording studio. The room I'll be taking has 13.85 square meters of space, and is not perfectly square, but rather rectangular in shape.

Now I just wanted to ask for your professional opinion as to how I could both soundproof and treat the acoustics in the room to have a nice blend for both recording and mixing. The style of music I play is generally acoustic folk/rock. So there will be a lot of acoustic guitar and vocals being laid down. Occasionally, I will be recording electric guitar but I have an Eleven Rack to do so (without the worry of amplifiers). I also have a Roland TD-9K drumset, which naturally I do not have to worry about the sound quality for recording, or bothering the neighbors.

I do however wish to dampen the sound a bit, to make sure no one hears me and at the same time provide some great acoustics in the room. Now, I live in Switzerland so the walls are made of stone and are usually 4-6" thick and the floors are hardwood. I've included a diagram of what the layout of the room is and so if you could offer any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated!
Your main isolation concerns will probably be the window and door. Make sure these are as massive (heavy) as possible and sealed (airtight). You may find, however, that you don't need to bother with isolation.

For acoustics, your main concern will be bass traps, then you want to treat the first reflection points (ceiling, side and rear walls). You may wish to get rid of the closet, or at least open the doors while recording/mixing. Filled with clothes, it will act as good rear wall absorption.

Back