New Home Studio

EmVella

Hi,

I am thinking of making a home studio in this room that is is not square (please find attachment)

Please any help where is the best place to put the desk and monitors, etc.. ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Barn Studio.pdf
    15.9 KB · Views: 68
Assume those dimensions are meters? That tight corner angle top left will need a lot of absorption material. With the door on the bottom wall, I'd say set up your desk in the center of the right wall (with the window). Monitors should be as spread out as far as your desk or stands allow - ideally close to 2 meters apart.

Last edited:
Hi mjbphotos and thanks for your reply.

Yes dimensions are in meters. Regarding the corner angle top left and all room, how can I know what absorption material and panels I need and where is best to put them? In my mind I was thinking exactly like you about the desk in the center of the right wall (with the window).

I agree with Mike about the desk placement.

AFA what/where treatment should go...there's not going to be some significant position differences...like a little this way or that way...rather, just consider a good amount of broadband panels and also some LF traps, especially in the angled corner where LF might get trapped more.
IOW...put LF traps in both corners...but you might need a little extra in the angled corner.

At any rate, don't go nuts straight off. Start with some basic panels at reflection points, the back wall, the corners, and of course the4 ceiling...and don't forget even the front wall on either side of the window...but you don't need to immediately load up the whole room...though TBH, with small rooms like that, stuffing them and making them dead is generally going to work out best. A pretty dead room creates the illusion of space...of course, you have to add you ambience artificially, but at least it's controlled.

You might even consider "squaring off" that weird corner...but save that as an "all else fails" option. You can also put lots of "stuff" on the side to kinda balance out the angle.

Hi again,

After your suggestions I came up with these two options, #3 or #4 (please find attachment). Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Barn Studio 3.pdf
    112.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Barn Studio 4.pdf
    112.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I don't think either is going to be much different. You're ending up with an almost-square small room,which is never great. I wouldn't pull the desk out into the room so far, you need acoustic trapping at the point-of-first-reflection on either side, and having the desk out that far means that that is right where your door is on one side.
I would not build out a full wall in any corner, just put a 4"/100mm (minimum thickness) trap across it,and stuff the empty space behind it with more rockwool.

I like Barn4 with the pocket sliding door.
Not sure what you are doing in the space but good for storage/iso guitar amp nook.

g

Hi bluesfordan,

In ''ArchiCad'' because I work with architects ;). You can also see it in 3D and walk inside the room.

Last edited:
Back