Need some direction

tswsdrummer4

So I am starting to acoustically treat my control room, and have been reading a tremendous amount about it but have one question. In Ethan Winer's very long article on acoustic treatment he suggests that if you treat one wall, don't treat the opposite wall and same for ceiling and floor. For the most part, everything else ive been reading says for one to put up as much 4 inch fiberglass ect. as they can affort and have space for. Especially if you have a room with parallel walls. Looking for some clarification on this please:)

I believe Ethan is recommending that your opposing walls not be mirror images of each other.

A combination of Owens Corning 703 etc panels and acoustic "foam" panels can help you do that.

Also if you have a small control room, consider putting in a substantial amount of OC703 or whatever you choose to use to make the room fairly "dead".

As you have found, Ethan's websites share a ton of great information.

In that light, I suggest you spend some time on the Auralex and other acoustic material manufacturers websites and read, research, and write down what you learn before you move ahead.

www.homestudioguy.com

It really is quite simple:

Never let untreated surfaces face each other.

You can have identical treatment facing each other .. it's ok. But people saying to cover all your walls with fiberglass are not acoustics experts and are only suggesting what has worked for them in the past. I am not a fan of dead rooms.

Bass trapping would be your first concern. You have 12 corners in a rectangular room to put trapping in. Most guys like Ethan and Glenn at GIK will suggest as much trapping as you can get... and I agree. But don't think that they are suggesting that you deaden your room. Many people think that, but they also recommend diffusion. So, it's not a sales gimmick. You really do need trapping.

So start there, get your modal issues under control and then you can move on to your 'zone' and treat it appropriately - depending on your design preferences.

Cheers,
John

It really is quite simple: Never let untreated surfaces face each other. You can have identical treatment facing each other .. it's ok. But people saying to cover all your walls with fiberglass are not acoustics experts and are only suggesting what has worked for them in the past. I am not a fan of dead rooms. Cheers, John
Thanks for your clarification, John. Everything I said above, I have read from those who sell acoustic materials or read on this and other forums and I will be the first to say that I am not an acoustic expert but I have utilized a lot of what I have read and it has worked for me. Now that I have a larger remodeled room to work with, it will be interesting to see if and how the same concepts will work. Thanks again!

Also realise that you often may make different choices depending on if you are treating a tracking room or a mixing room.

As was said, the main thing in a tracking room is you don't want untreated opposing surfaces, while in a mixing room you will want symmetry around the mix position including how you treat it.

I n a mixing position you don't want a reflective wall to your right ear while having a heavily treated one to the left, it will throw the image off.

Back