Need a second set of monitors for reference purposes

Music Bear

Hey all. I Love my Focal system, but I've been advised to pick up a lower line (lower cost) speaker for mixing so I can hear the mix on different setups. I want something with XLR inputs since the studio is already wired up for them through my XMON. Any suggestions?

Some do, some don't. You can use two just as easily as any monitor, but obviously the cost is higher. In his book, he talks about just using one as you'll check stereo stuff on your main monitors.

I see they come in black too. I think I will order two today. Thanks for the tip.

I've seen those Avantones in a few different studios. If I were to grab a secondary pair of monitors, I would grab a pair of Yamaha HS80Ms. I don't love them for working on all day, as they're quite bright and hard on the ears, but many people (including a lot of my friends) have done some great mixes on them. As long as your room is treated, any secondary set of speakers will be beneficial. You will just need to learn them as if you've changed your monitors, know what translates through them and what doesn't, and check through them often.

I decided to go with the active version to ease setup...
file.jpg

If you have a set of Hifi / stereo speakers that you listen to music on a lot and are used to hearing, why not use them as the second set of monitors? I did this for years until I finally get a second set, funny enough the hifi speakers were old "made in England" Mission speakers, and I replaced them with Mission Pro studio monitors (no longer made) as I liked the sound of the missions. I also have NS10's and original Auratones, which is what the Avantones are based on.

Cheers

Alan.

Back