Need A Recording Set Up For University Class

AshX

I'm a sophomore music major at a university and I've been taking a lot of sound engineering classes the past few semesters. I'm taking an arranging/songwriting class next semester which will require that I record stuff on my own, in the school studio, and mix it in and out of school. I write and record all the music for my band and have been looking to get a decent recording set up going for quite some time now. There are just so many options and given my not-too-high budget I'm trying to get something that will sound good (and won't require me to replace gear for something better too quickly) but get the job done.

Here's what I have so far:

• 2011-2012 iMac
  • 2011-2012 MacBook Pro
  • Logic Pro 9 (DAW only)
  • Carbon 49 Midi controller
  • Shure Beta 58A
  • Line 6 Mk II Spider Valve (Tube Amp with Modeling Effects) by Bogner live/studio amp

My college professors prefer Pro Tools (as do most people) and I'm not too set with Logic as I've only used it to mix things occasionally and really haven't learned much about it so switching wouldn't be a big deal.

What I've considered getting for my set up is this:

• Pro Tools 10 (Academic Edition) - $249
  • Apogee Duet Audio Interface - $595
  • Set of monitors - $300-$400
  • Shure SM7B Vocal mic - $349

I figure that as much as I hate not using real drums, it makes more sense to just program drums using my midi keyboard and given the high-end converters the Apogee Duet uses with 2 inputs, it would be a good start as far as getting a good quality recording. I've been looking into discounts on Pro Tools ($699 is a lot for a student) and saw the Academic Edition of Pro Tools 10. Are there less features and would I be better off just sticking with Logic? I've also considered picking up Guitar Rig 5 by Native-Instruments just in case I can't get a good tone from my amp.

If any of you seasoned veterans could offer some suggestions as to whether I'm on the right track or bring any other alternatives to my attention it would be much appreciated! I'd like to start setting up my own little studio at home in my basement so I'd love for what I purchase to continue to serve me well for some time at least! Thank you!

Im no seasoned veteran but heres what I have learnt from the website.

First off some light reading.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ltitrack-computer-interface-recording-323561/

I don't see the need to buy a new DAW when you already have one but if you really wish for a cheap full featured DAW go for reaper, once the trial end you can still use it (honestly not trying to sell the product :))

You'll quickly find out that most people (statistically speaking) don't use Pro Tools, that being said it is still a great product.

How many I/O (inputs/output) are you looking to record? ie how many singers/guitarists/crazed mandolin players?

The Shure SM7B has many raving reviews from the peeps on this website but they'll all recommend "making up your own mind" on how it sounds.

Theres lots of options for audio interfaces but your first decision is USB or FIREWIRE

There is no substitute for real drums other then real drums, however there are some great substitutes. Heres one

If you're setting up a home studio make sure you send us lot of picture :D and consider making some acoustic treatment (post 3# is a good place to start)

When it comes to monitors
https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mixing-techniques/all-about-monitors-347090/

Extra Reading.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ended-books-learning-music-production-350532/

With an SM58 and an SM7B you have two dynamic mics from the same manufacturer.

The SM58 is designed far more for live work on a noisy stage than recording.

The SM7B has many fans on this forum (I'm not one of them) but is used far more in radio studios than for music recording.

For that reason, I'd seriously consider a large diaphragm condenser rather than the SM7B.

Similarly, despite using it for years at work, I'm not a big fan of Protools. However, if your instructors have a preference in that direction (and since you can get the educational price) I'd probably go that route, if only for the support your profs will be able to give. Protools, for all its limitations and awkward UI, is ubiquitous in the industry so learning it will never be a bad thing.

Regarding what Phantom Piggy said about a choice between USB and Firewire, I wouldn't touch FW with a barge pole any more. Yeah, I use it at home but as an interconnect format it's drinking at the last chance saloon. Unless your track count will go beyond 16 in/out, USB2 will be fine and far more future proof.

The Prof is a boring old fart who probably gets a stipend for pushing Pro Tools.
Reaper is excellent & very, very cheap.
If you use Reaper the prof can't stuff around with your work by importing it into Pro Tools.
That said, if the college provides cheap access to "the insdustry standard" then it's up to you really.
Firewire is as Bobbsy says and Shure mics are like Pro Tools ubiquitous without being the best or most affordable tool in the shed.
I have a couple of diff brands of dynamic that, to me, sound better than the Shure. I have small & large diaphram mics that do too. I don't have much money so buy 2nd hand when I can and aim at useful rather than prestige when I can't.
"Set of monitors" suggests you need to think a little harder about both your gear list & vocation.
I can afford to use cheap monitors because I'm just a silly hobbyist. Can you?

Back