Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My third music/studio room option

Thanks

My third music/studio room option

Sign in to disable this ad
    still mulling my music room options. There's a master bedroom on the first floor, it is rectangular but also bigger in all dimensions.

current room is 109" (2.77 m) wide by 133" (3.37 m) long by 88" (2.23 m) high = 738 ft3 (20.9 m3)

master bedroom is 137" (3.48 m) wide by 158" (4.01 m) long by 91" (2.31 m) high = 1140 ft3 (32.3 m3)

There are three windows, one centered on the north (end) and two side by side centered on the east (side). There are already heavy drapes in place. There is a long closet offset on the south (end) wall and the room entry door is on the west (side) at the corner. There's a ceiling fan roughly dead center of the room. I can actually use that in another room so removing it is no problem. The wall to wall carpet is heavily soiled and everybody agrees it needs to go. The closet doors are poorly hung mirrored bi-folds that never worked right from day one probably due to weight and they'll probably be removed as well no matter what the room is used for.

i could construct bass traps for 3 of the corners, don't know about the corner where the door is.

Would I want the desk at the north end or the south end of the room? My thought is at the south end in front of the closet, with large gobos acting as reflection absorbers behind the monitors. Same for the side reflection. The higher ceiling would make hanging a cloud easier. The drapes would help as diffusers.

Thanks
    Bigger is better. Making this as symmetrical left-right as possible should be looked at.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    the north end would probably be best for that, then. the wall behind and adjacent to the desk would be more uniform than the offset closet opening and the room door in the south west corner.

Thanks
    Do you really have the choice of the master bedroom? Where will you sleep?

Thanks
    When choosing rooms, I find this to be helpful

amroc - THE Room Mode Calculator

It will tell you how close to ideal your room is. Plug in the numbers and see where it lies on the Bolt area graphic. Then look at the Bonello bar graph to see how the modes are distributed. And the first graph will show room modes by frequency and strength. The page also provides a list of the actual modes. Pay particular attention to the axial modes. They tend to be the worst.

All this taken together will give you a quick idea of how the rooms compare in theory. Big is usually better but it can also depend on the shape.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dwillis45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Desk placement can depend on ergonomics, light, electrical access, and what's located at you first reflection points. Usually, it goes about 1/3 back from the short wall and is centered in the room. From there, it's a matter of moving the desk and speakers (forward usually) until you find the least troublesome spot for hearing low end frequencies. If you have really good ears, you will be able to tell using your own judgement. If not, it's a matter of testing with test tones or using a measurement mic and software.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    Do you really have the choice of the master bedroom? Where will you sleep?
    LOL. My bedroom is on the second floor. The former master bedroom, now split into two small bedrooms and a walk-in closet is on the other side of the second floor. The 9x11 music room is one of those bedrooms. The room downstairs became the master bedroom by virtue of being my parents' room.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    When choosing rooms, I find this to be helpful

amroc - THE Room Mode Calculator

It will tell you how close to ideal your room is. Plug in the numbers and see where it lies on the Bolt area graphic. Then look at the Bonello bar graph to see how the modes are distributed. And the first graph will show room modes by frequency and strength. The page also provides a list of the actual modes. Pay particular attention to the axial modes. They tend to be the worst.

All this taken together will give you a quick idea of how the rooms compare in theory. Big is usually better but it can also depend on the shape.
    weird, I clicked on the link and nothing but greek, sumerian, nordic runes and hieroglyphics showed up. You would have thought they'd at least use English words

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesfordan View Post
    weird, I clicked on the link and nothing but greek, sumerian, nordic runes and hieroglyphics showed up. You would have thought they'd at least use English words
    It seems complicated at first but you have to dig in a little. Although both the Bonello and Bolt area graphics come with a little explanation. I'd use those to get a quick idea of what you are facing. You don't have to know what they mean, just whether your room makes them look pretty.

The room modes are relative. All rooms have sound and modes. It's really a question of how many you are likely to face and whether they are stacked on top of one another.

Thanks
    Neither room is horrible (using the calculator) but the bigger room is going to be better for mixing IMO. For recording, it depends on how you'll use it. All those modes and stuff really matter when you're trying to use your ears, and in most rooms we HRs have to use, close micing removes a lot of the room influence, though it can confuse things if you're trying to decide if the mic placement is working, i.e., when you listen to the track.

If you can set the desk so your monitors and treatment of early reflections give you a good listening point, that would be my main criteria.

Unless there's a ton of noise entering the room from the rest of the house, you can probably leave that corner door open (experiment with how much) for mixing - it's kind of an infinite bass trap at that point. It's what I do, anyway.

I wouldn't remove the fan unless it's really in the way of installing some cloud treatment, and those don't have to be super thick (IMO). I left the fan in my little room just so I can clear out the stuffiness if I have to keep it closed up in the summer for any length of time - it's never on when recording or mixing, of course.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thread Information