My studio plans... have a look

rushfan33

Here's my initial plans for the studio. Let me know what you think?
RF

Attachments

• studio plan 1.jpg
    studio plan 1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 249
Looks Kinda cool

I assume the control room is the rectangle. If so remember that symmetry in your room set up for monitoring purposes is critically important. You may have a little trouble setting up how to see into the rooms and face the listening position (which should be one of the short walls). Perhaps not.

I am always a little jealous when I see others getting to build. I wont be able to do so till next year some time.

Good luck with your project! Don't forget the Bass traps!

Tom

The control room is the splayed wall room.

We need to treat the live room, Rush, with bass traps, absorbers, and maybe some slot resonators. Give us some dimensions so we can run some room modes though. That way we'll know how much treatment and where.

Seems to me too like the void on the top side of the the control room could be used as either a mic storage cabinet, or maybe a guitar cab iso booth. Just to make efficient use of space.

Looks pretty good though.

I've tweaked the plan a bit. I have no hard measurements at the moment as I'm just trying to get the basic layout of the studio going. I've changed the void area to be a possible entry/air lock for the live room. The doors would be 32" or 36". It'll just be for me so I don't really need to worry about loading in and out all the time.

The angled wall near the entry door.... I was thinking of building my racks into that wall.

The window is my mix position and to the right would be a 5' sliding glass door for the vocal booth. I would possibly put a curtain that runs the length of the glass door in case it causes wierd reflections.

The only bad thing about the design (to MY limited knowledge) is that there is no room for storage as of yet. I'll work that out later. I might be able to build cabinets into the wall over the rack.

Here the pic.... let me know if there are any problems with what you see.
Thanks
RF

PS... For anyone looking for a super easy drawing program that's free, go to bobvila.com and check out the design tools. That's how I drew this one. It's very basic but in the basic planning stages, I found it very adequate! It doesn't expire like the trial version of smart draw.

RF

Attachments

• revised 1.jpg
    revised 1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Rush,
Which tool did you use, I went there but could not see an obvious program to download.

Tom

Here's the link. The program will download automatically if you choose to draw. Just click on "design it" and it'll take you through the rest.

RF

I've taken a photo of the actual space with some boards to outline the layout. The desk you see is 60" wide. That should give you an idea of the space I'm dealing with.
It looks to be turning out much smaller than I'd hoped but whatya gonna do? :D

As you can see to the right, the small peice of 1x1 is 36" long, which in my new plan will be the entry/airlock between the live room and control room. I can also build into that airlock, a thin mic cabinet. I love the idea that laptoppop had for mic stand storage so I might explore that option as well.

To the left, I'm still thinking about building the rack into that wall. The logistics haven't hit me yet but I'm just in the brainstorming stage at this point.

To the right, the long white board will be either a sliding glass door, or a solid pocket door with a window in it.

If all else fails (meaning the current design is rediculously flawed), I'm thinking about maxmising space by doing away with the vocal room and putting a window in the live room. At the window, I could do a half moon heavy curtain that suspends from the ceiling to create a vocal "booth". The only thing I see that would benefit out of that is getting a wider control room.

Any thoughts/concerns?
RF

Attachments

• real view 1.jpg
    real view 1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Back