My studio building

nelsonpaschoal

Hello friends, I´m building my studio, in fact, I´m turning my garage into a studio, for years I use as a rehearsal space for my band and I bought some equipament for recording, my dad retired and the garage is in a process to become a recording studio. That´s the space I have:

planta.jpg

What I did until now:

- One wall full with foam, the one oppose to the stairs
- floor with sheets of rubber

I have a problem with the garage door, I can´t eliminate because I still put my car in the there. But I have a plan to make a inside door to isolate the sound from outside.
I have some doubts about the treatment, I really want to make all the calculations about the RT60, and the spectrogram of frequencies, and so on, but I am very new in this world, I am reading a lot in the forum, and learning a lot.

Some help will be great:

- the control room will be inside the recording room, I can´t make any change in the structure of the house, because of that, what kind of room concept I have to plan?
- placement of the instruments, mostly the drums, and the monitors with the desk and pc.
- the room is large, and the use of foam to reduce que reverberation kill the room, some people say that foam is useless others say is ok to use, how can I controle the reverb?
- I will put bass traps in at least two corners, which corners?

I have some equipment, some mics, a mackie onyx for A/D....

Later today I will post some photos. I want to make some decent recordings.
Sorry for my english, I´m from Brazil and learned by myself, forgive that!!

Cheers!!

Have you recorded anything in there with everything as it is now? How does it sound?

How big of a concern is soundproofing the door to the outside? Do you mainly desire to prevent sound (noise) coming in, or to prevent sound going out (disturbing neighbours or things of that sort)?

And probably most importantly, how serious are you about it? There are people here that are absolute experts who can guide you if you want it to be a "professional level" studio, but that is neither easy nor affordable.

Best regards and wishes,

I think you would have to decide whether you want a studio or a garage. Trying to use the building for both is just complicating everything and possibly making it more expensive as well.

For the non-metric people here, those dimensions = approx 22'x18'. Foam will eliminate SOME high frequency reflections. Usually ok for a band rehearsal place, but not for recording, as it leaves the mids and bass untreated. What you need are 'full frequency traps', sometimes called bass traps, made with rockwool or compressed fibreglass or recycled cotton product. 4" thick minimum, more in the corners (including ceiling/wall corners). Start with the 4 main corners - floor to ceiling, and then do some experimentation on what the sound is doing.
Forget 'control room', just set up a desk with computer and monitors easy to access from the the main space - the best place for it would be centered on that wall to the right - unfortunately where the door is. You could set it up about 3 feet (1 meter) out from the door, to allow passage around the desk to the door.
Construct some movable gobos - framed rockwool that you can move in front of the garage door when recording.

Have you recorded anything in there with everything as it is now? How does it sound?

How big of a concern is soundproofing the door to the outside? Do you mainly desire to prevent sound (noise) coming in, or to prevent sound going out (disturbing neighbours or things of that sort)?

And probably most importantly, how serious are you about it? There are people here that are absolute experts who can guide you if you want it to be a "professional level" studio, but that is neither easy nor affordable.

Best regards and wishes,

Thanks for reply, I am not doing such expensive construction if not for real, but I have my job and the studio is more for passion, I´ll work more with metal and heavy rock, but i want a good sound.
Concern about sound is just for coming in.

I recorded this in 2012, with a Delta 1010LT and a behringer mixer : YouTube
i don´t have a recording finished with my new equip, as soon as I end something, I post here.

Last edited:
For the non-metric people here, those dimensions = approx 22'x18'. Foam will eliminate SOME high frequency reflections. Usually ok for a band rehearsal place, but not for recording, as it leaves the mids and bass untreated. What you need are 'full frequency traps', sometimes called bass traps, made with rockwool or compressed fibreglass or recycled cotton product. 4" thick minimum, more in the corners (including ceiling/wall corners). Start with the 4 main corners - floor to ceiling, and then do some experimentation on what the sound is doing.
Forget 'control room', just set up a desk with computer and monitors easy to access from the the main space - the best place for it would be centered on that wall to the right - unfortunately where the door is. You could set it up about 3 feet (1 meter) out from the door, to allow passage around the desk to the door.
Construct some movable gobos - framed rockwool that you can move in front of the garage door when recording.

Bass traps are in my list, maximum priority!!! Thanks for all the information!!!

I'm thinking a heavy (not foam) king-size mattress (or equivalent - rockwool encased in moving pads, something like that) on an equally hefty door-type hinge to swing over and fasten so it's pressed against that garage door top and bottom. Then swing it out of the way when you need to use the door.[MP3][/MP3]

Back