Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: My Studio

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Thanks....you just raised my Leslie lust by 100%!!!
    I'll have to get back to looking for a local-ish Leslie and see if something comes up.

That replacement motor cap...did you score that at some specialty vintage electronics shop...or are they pretty easy to find?

My L-103 is from 1965...was a one-owner that belonged to a college professor. It was low-use, and he maintained it very well, with a yearly visit from an organ tech...so when I got it, it was in great running shape, and I didn't have to do anything to it. I scored it for $200...and a work friend and I then had to carry from a second floor room, down a spiraling staircase, and lift up into the back of a pick-up truck. A bit of a struggle, but we made it happen.

Since getting it, I swapped out the Percussion preamp, though the original might just have a bad tube, but I had spare Perc and Vib preamps, so it was simple to just swap it. Other than that, I just keep it oiled yearly, and it's been running great. Maybe that motor cap was tended to at some point by the professor's organ tech...but it's an easy thing to swap out, I'll just have to find a new one.
    Sorry. I'm a dumb fuck. Just replied to my own post. Go look if you want in this thread and you will see my reply...jeesh, what a dipshit I are!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toddfugere View Post
    I built them with Owen's Corning 705 built wood frames around them and covered them with fabric. I can put a link to the plans at a later time if you like. They were a game changer for my room.
    Cool thanks. Similar here, standalone panels.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by einstein magoo View Post
    You can get the motor capacitor from many sources but Tone Wheel General Hospital is where I got mine They have just about anything you would need for restoring or just servicing your Hammond. Beware, it is a very addictive time comsuming hobby when you get to digging g into these things but sooo worth it.. I looked again as the back is off of my organ and it is 3 wires for the cap but a piece of cake. It you go to Organforums.com there is a Hammond section and tons of good advice and just interesting material there. The guys there are very helpful. And can point you to solutions for many common problems. Just search for Tone Wheel General Hospital and check out the organ forum and those people can fix about any problem you may have.
    I am really glad to hear you are going to replace the run motor cap! You will save yourself a lot of potential trouble.
    Good luck h with your equipment. I know that you have the experience wiith electronic gear to be successful at whatever needs be done.
    If you want to get some growl out of that L100 before you get your Leslie, a simple line out can be had at the expression pedal output. It is an rca cable and a simple rca to 1/4" phone plug will let you plug into any guitar pedal, then on to a nice tube amp, or other, and you can crank it to get a serious Jon Lord thing going on! Plugging in this way you will not get the organs reverb, but of course that is available on your guitar amp.I used an old cheap DOD chorus pedal for this and it worked great! The chorus was effective enough to get a half assed Leslie simulation, and cranked into a tube amp the sound is awesome!

Don't want to hijack this guy's thread so once you get into it just PM me with any questions. I haven't the knowledge of the organ forum guys, and I am a Hammond noob myself, but might clear up some simple stuff for you.

Have fun!!
    Yeah...no problem with working on electronics...been doing for years.
    I've done some basic overhauling on the Hammond since I got it, but generally it has not needed much because it was in such great shape when I got it.
    Mostly though, without the Leslie, I've not wanted to get into a lot of deep mods...but I have found ways (the line out option was one) to get more out of the L-103. Most recently I've used a guitar attenuator with a line out...but another cool way was to use my Radial JDX box and a Line to guitar level conversion, and than plug that into a Pigtronix Rototron Leslie simulator....but nothing will be the same as a real Leslie.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by einstein magoo View Post
    You can get the motor capacitor from many sources but Tone Wheel General Hospital is where I got mine They have just about anything you would need for restoring or just servicing your Hammond. Beware, it is a very addictive time comsuming hobby when you get to digging g into these things but sooo worth it.. I looked again as the back is off of my organ and it is 3 wires for the cap but a piece of cake.
    I just ordered a new run capacitor, but I ended up getting it from BB Organs, only because they accept PayPal, the Tone Wheel General Hospital doesn't.
    Anyway...same capacitor at both places...but one thing I'm puzzled by...the original caps are 3-wire...but when I look at these new ones, I only see basically two connection points on the new cap, so where's the 3rd wire going...?...or do each of those legs offer an isolated connection point...?
    (I'm sure it's going to be obvious once I get it and open the back of the organ. )
    I guess I'm basically thinking there would be just a positive and negative, like most caps...so what's the third wire...back to the switch?

run_capacitor_l100_1024x1024-jpeg

{EDIT}

Never mind.
    I got my lazy ass up and decided to look in my L-100 service manual with schematics....DUH!...and I see that the Red and Yellow wires connect together at the capacitor, and then the red goes to the motor (black too) and the yellow goes back to the power terminal and the power switch, like I suspected.

Looks like about 20-30 minutes worth of work to de-solder the wires, remove the old cap, and drop in the new one.
    Last edited by miroslav; 2 Days Ago at 20:21.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    I just ordered a new run capacitor, but I ended up getting it from BB Organs, only because they accept PayPal, the Tone Wheel General Hospital doesn't.
    Anyway...same capacitor at both places...but one thing I'm puzzled by...the original caps are 3-wire...but when I look at these new ones, I only see basically two connection points on the new cap, so where's the 3rd wire going...?...or do each of those legs offer an isolated connection point...?
    (I'm sure it's going to be obvious once I get it and open the back of the organ. )
    I guess I'm basically thinking there would be just a positive and negative, like most caps...so what's the third wire...back to the switch?

run_capacitor_l100_1024x1024-jpeg

{EDIT}

Never mind.
    I got my lazy ass up and decided to look in my L-100 service manual with schematics....DUH!...and I see that the Red and Yellow wires connect together at the capacitor, and then the red goes to the motor (black too) and the yellow goes back to the power terminal and the power switch, like I suspected.

Looks like about 20-30 minutes worth of work to de-solder the wires, remove the old cap, and drop in the new one.
    Yep, Easy Peasy. I used spade connectors instead of soldering on the cap. If I remember right they were 1/4" spade connectors (Insulated female disconnect connectors). anyway, you know what I'm talking about.

Have fun!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to einstein magoo For This Useful Post:

Thread Information