Multitrack recorders

Andriko

Hi all,

Following on from the good advice (in homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/studio-building-and-acoustic-treatment/basic-studio-equipment-404265/) I have been doing a little research, and think that maybe a multitrack recorder might be more what I am after (and suits my anti-computer tendencies).

In another millennium I used to use a Boss Br-8, and was wondering if anyone had recommendations, or advice of what I should be looking for.

As in my previous thread, the idea is to record multiple tracks separately (whilst being able to hear them on playback), and my old boss was great for that.

Also, my goal is to record and mix and mess around with the recorder primarily, though at some point I may want to option to mix it on a PC with software (to add better digital backing and so on) - do modern multracks allow for this option? Also, for storage and transfer reasons, I would have to keep the songs on PC anyway (alas, I know longer have a cassette recorder!), though I also assume that modern recorders use SD cards or something similar.

Another question would be in built effects (I will be recording with electric and acoustic guitars) - the old BR-8 allowed me to plug the electric guitar directly into it, and had a range of it's own affects (or I could add an effects pedal), so something similar would also be essential (though I am sure I can and at some point will sort out the effects element myself).

Finally, I assume it would be possible to hook it up to my home HiFi if I so wished, (though I will primarily use the headphones).

So far I have come accross the Ammoon CT80s, Zoom r16 and Tascam DP-03SD, but was hoping that someone here with more experience than me could give me some advice about them. I don't particularly want to spend a fortune, and 8 tracks will be plenty for me. I am also not adverse to buying a second hand, older model if someone knows a good make to look for.

Thanks for your help,

A

Even though you say you only need 8 tracks - that is likely to become limiting. I recommend you take a close look at the Tascam DP-24SD or DP-32SD.

You can easily and quickly move files back and forth from a computer (I leave mine permanently connected to a laptop via USB cable). Plenty of tracks (w/virtual tracks), effects up the wazoo, digital editing capability, and ITB mastering capability. They're very capable mixer/recorders on their own - and you can move your stems/files into a computer based DAW with ease.

Ten years ago, a friend borrowed my HD24, I've not missed it.

The thing with good quality multitrack, 8 upwards, is simply that by NOT using a computer, you effectively rule out all the great things they can do. Frankly, I cannot imagine going back to drop ins, or re-records and the inability to copy and paste makes any kind of stand alone device somewhat of a dinosaur. I appreciate some people hate computers, but frankly the world has moved on, and I for one remember the old days fondly, but never want too go back to the old ways - ever!

Likewise, the Zoom R24 and R16 do the same. You can also use them as a control surface for your DAW once you move them to the computer, or use them as an audio interface for going directly into the computer.

You can't really go wrong with either one, especially for "all-in-one" recorders.

One nice thing about these recorders is that you really don't have any latency issue to deal with when you are doing multitracking. They will punch in/punch out just like a DAW.

Once you get some thing you like, its a piece of cake to pull the SD card, throw in into the computer and copy the wave files to your hard drive.

As Talisman said above........the Zooms are a good way to go. They're full featured stand-alone recorders.....the R24 has a drum machine built in. Then they are also excellent audio interfaces..........for when you go to a DAW. I use the R16 as one. And as a bonus......they're control surfaces as well..........giving you a way to use physical faders and buttons etc...etc....to use instead of always using the mouse. As I've mentioned previously.........I have a Tascam DP24 that I stopped using for a number of good reasons. I would never go back to a stand-alone multi-track as my only recording device. The DAW is SO much more usable. That said......the R16 and the R24 are priced well for sure. As always.....this is only my opinion.........and that's worth about 2 cents.

Thanks guys, this has been really great advice - it looks like I will investigate the Zoom R16/24 as the best option for now.

This has been really helpful!

A

Back