Monitor Stands

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I've picked out a pair of monitor stands I believe will fit nicely with my bedroom studio. Now, these come with some kind of rubber/vinyl strips for the pad surfaces, and I'd like to stick something more substantial on top of those - something which will cover the whole pad. A small wash cloth at least. I'm also wondering do I really need some form of isolation padding.. the stands are all steel with hollow vertical tubes. The isolation stuff I see online appears to be nothing more than light foam blocks/wedges - is that all there is to that stuff, or does the $40-$200 get you some really good technology with excellent isolation?

I only have desktop stands that I made but I filled them with concrete and used old mousepad pieces to get the speaker angle right. The speakers aren't moving the stands enough to worry about.

Aha.. A couple of stands I looked at offered the option of being filled with sand or something else of your choice - I'm not going with those. Your mousepad sounds like a good idea. I've got a couple old ones I could use for monitor pads atop the stands. Those would make a great non-skid surface, and I have a partial package of cedar shims I can use to angle the speakers if needed.

Filling them with sand or even cat litter is good. What makes a great 'cushion' for the top is a yoga mat. Nice dense stuff.
:D

I should have sent you my extra pair the Auralex decoupling pads. They do a fine job in my particular needs for angling of the monitors.

BTW, my speaker stands are a stack of cinder blocks with a slab of wood across them. They hold up the audio monitors as well as two video monitors. All you need for audio monitor support is stability. Filling with sand is likely more about the structure/weight. Resonance from a desk or something that could possibly resonate is the only real reason for decoupling.

Attachments

• Jimmy Monitor Stands.jpg
    Jimmy Monitor Stands.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I have been using non skid type shelf liner from the hardware store, the padded stuff with holes.

I have been using non skid type shelf liner from the hardware store, the padded stuff with holes.

I had the same idea last night. I just did my kitchen with some and it's got some nice grip.

I should have sent you my extra pair the Auralex decoupling pads. They do a fine job in my particular needs for angling of the monitors.

Doh! :facepalm::p

BTW, my speaker stands are a stack of cinder blocks with a slab of wood across them. They hold up the audio monitors as well as two video monitors. All you need for audio monitor support is stability. Filling with sand is likely more about the structure/weight. Resonance from a desk or something that could possibly resonate is the only real reason for decoupling.

I do have 4 cinder blocks left over from my old desk.. I wouldn't want to use just one on top of another in a single stack with these speakers - too top heavy. For now, mine would be freestanding without running a board across them for stability. I could get 4 more and make 2 pillars for each speaker. Hmm.. I believe I'll pick up some cinder blocks this weekend and see how that works. I might could save some money here. Thanks! :D

I had the same idea last night. I just did my kitchen with some and it's got some nice grip.

Doh! :facepalm::p

I do have 4 cinder blocks left over from my old desk.. I wouldn't want to use just one on top of another in a single stack with these speakers - too top heavy. For now, mine would be freestanding without running a board across them for stability. I could get 4 more and make 2 pillars for each speaker. Hmm.. I believe I'll pick up some cinder blocks this weekend and see how that works. I might could save some money here. Thanks! :D

Much cheaper. Spray paint them black. They also are good for storage/wire feed of miscellaneous stuff if the open ends are exposed.

...They also are good for storage/wire feed of miscellaneous stuff if the open ends are exposed.

Oh yeah.. ;) I've been using them just like that for years - all my various usb connectors/cables, and CDs. Now I'll have twice as many storage holes.

I hadn't thought of painting them.. sounds cool. My mind has been on vintage black light posters and lava lamps. Thanks!

Much cheaper. Spray paint them black. They also are good for storage/wire feed of miscellaneous stuff if the open ends are exposed.

Haha! Cinder blocks, especially the fancy ones were the modular bookcases of the 70s.
Those, some pine boards, and you're good to go!
Books stereo systems, all your records, etc, went on them.
Ah, brings back memories of incense, hanging plants, and other things. :D

Haha! Cinder blocks, especially the fancy ones were the modular bookcases of the 70s.
You’re probably thinking of macrame...

My bricks, blocks, milk crates and lumber scraps all went out the door not long after that young Swedish girl moved in. The final nail was when they opened an IKEA about 10 miles away. :)

Last edited:

You must have been peeking through my photo album!

You’re probably thinking of macrame...

My bricks, blocks, milk crates and lumber scraps all went out the door not long after that young Swedish girl moved in. The final nail was when they opened an IKEA about 10 miles away. :)

Nope, not macrame :D
And definately no young swedish girl. Sounds like you were lucky. :)
And even if there was an Ikea, I wouldn't have had any money for it. (Probably due to my spending it on those 'other things')
:D

---------- Update ----------

You must have been peeking through my photo album!

I think were both busted :D

Back