Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Monitor Recommendation for Small Space

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    interesting, these D5 have actually gone up in price. reading tape op, the $300 pair new, is used Reverb price of $650-$500...
    and only 2 pair for sale. I dont see that very often, if ever?

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    I'm biased being an owner, but I got in the door when the 300 introductory price was offered. I think that now that they are scarce the market is starting to correct. They were always very underpriced for what they are. Which is very, very good monitors.

Thanks
    Hi. I was also bummed to hear that Equator was out of the marked
    I was hoping to get a pair of D5's autumn, but I'm hesitant to buy anything that's going to be hard to maintain/find parts for.
    All the best.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargg View Post
    Hi. I'm hesitant to buy anything that's going to be hard to maintain/find parts for.
    All the best.
    Its rare when speakers/monitors fail, and even rarer when someone tries to repair them.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Its rare when speakers/monitors fail, and even rarer when someone tries to repair them.
    Sorry, can you explain that last part Mike?

Asitappens...I am casting about for a single 100mm (4") bass/mid drive unit to make a decent centre speaker for a 5.1 system I have acquired. The "thing" that cam with it sounds horrendous! Two 75mm speakers in 1/2 a "shoebox" made of plastic (rated at 250W! Yeah, in a pig's...!)

Now, in my investigations I have come across units by Audax, SEAS, Peerless and others and many of these speakers are used in commercial speaker systems so there is a good chance the D5s use something fairly readily available. The other factor (and more likely to fail but not much) is the amplifier/PSU and that likely uses pretty common power ICs.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Morons blow up spkrs all the time.

@ ecc83 The Eguators use a made to order coaxial driver (s) I'm sure one could find a suitable commonly available driver, but you'd have to learn them all over again.
    And then there's the issue of DSP.......still don't know what that's all about yet. (They're tuned via computer????)

All that aside, I'd still have no issues buying a used but working set.

Thanks
    "@ ecc83 The Eguators use a made to order coaxial driver" Hmm? Well yes ok. I bet more like the co axial drivers were "discovered" and some very clever people found they had inherently good sound and with a little DSP tweaking could be made better? This sort of design process is rife in the electronics industry but the AdPuff depts. have to put a spin on it! N.B. I am NOT saying they are not very good speakers, just that engineers and marketing depts often disagree.

Making a really good drive unit from scratch is I would bet a $1,000,000 exercise (look at the retail price of the wee co-incident Genelecs!) such an investment would surely be kept going?

Or! Maybe I am just a cynical old bugger!

Dave.

Thanks
    I had one of my (previous generation) JBL 5Ē monitors develop a bad electrical buzz out of the blue after about 4 years. Iím pretty sure Iím not a moron (but donít ask my wife!) and I assure you I worry enough about my remaining hearing they were never abused in my little room. Just a (probably cheap) component failure. Cost of repair for something like that makes no sense so I just got a new pair of Yamahaís and trashed the bad one. GC gave me $50 for the working one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    I had one of my (previous generation) JBL 5” monitors develop a bad electrical buzz out of the blue after about 4 years. I’m pretty sure I’m not a moron (but don’t ask my wife!) and I assure you I worry enough about my remaining hearing they were never abused in my little room. Just a (probably cheap) component failure. Cost of repair for something like that makes no sense so I just got a new pair of Yamaha’s and trashed the bad one. GC gave me $50 for the working one.
    The fact is we's ALL right! For many decades "monitors" were passive* and driven from amplifiers of no greater power than 50W until the coming of the transistor. The spekers themselves were large (think Tannoy Reds, and across the Pond JBL Sentry) and of potent sensitivity. I dare say some "rock people" blew out Tannoys in later years but most of the time, for classical, jazz and band music they were never in danger.

Today the active monitor is the norm and only time will tell if the enclosed electronics will have a similar 20yr+ life span!

*BBC monitors had a valve amp (Quad lls?) slung underneath and fed from balanced line but not really "actives".

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    The fact is we's ALL right! For many decades "monitors" were passive* and driven from amplifiers of no greater power than 50W until the coming of the transistor. The spekers themselves were large (think Tannoy Reds, and across the Pond JBL Sentry) and of potent sensitivity. I dare say some "rock people" blew out Tannoys in later years but most of the time, for classical, jazz and band music they were never in danger.

Today the active monitor is the norm and only time will tell if the enclosed electronics will have a similar 20yr+ life span!

*BBC monitors had a valve amp (Quad lls?) slung underneath and fed from balanced line but not really "actives".

Dave.
    We will see. I have my concerns. I have a 20 year old Bryston 3B powering 20 year old Yammies. Everything still going strong and I don't do anything stupid so I expect them to go another 20 years.

Now the Bryston is a heavy beast, and there's lots of high quality heavy duty components in there.

As much as I love my D5s, there's not the components in there. It always intrigues me how they'll put in a relatively small box, not one, but two amps, and they share space with drivers and often a port.

I realise technology has come aways and making things smaller has been perfected but still.......

Time will tell the longevity of the modern stuff.
    But my Bryston?? Bulletproof.

Thread Information