Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Monitor height to head and ears

Thanks

Monitor height to head and ears

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have two options at the moment for placing my new monitors. I already know about the equilateral triangle arrangement i.e. speakers as far apart as your position from the speakers but what about what vertical plane should they be at.

my desk hutch is the most likely place I'd be putting the monitors, they would be 54" (137cm) from the floor and about 12" (30cm) above my seating position. Should they be on the same plane as my head/ears ~ 46" (117 cm) from the floor?

The other option is far less tenable due to the length of cabling I would need to put the monitors behind me, and at a greater height off the floor 57" (144 cm)

If the speakers should be on the same plane as my head, should my ears be in line with the high frequency tweeter, the woofer, or a spot in between them?

Sorry about the noobish sounding question, google kept directing me to in-ear monitors

Thanks
    If they are 2-way speakers with a HF driver and a speaker below....you want the center point between them to be at your seated ear height.
    That is the best option. If they are 3-way...between the HF and MID drivers.
    Some people have them up higher, and then angled down, but I don't care for that approach.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's funny because this can make an important difference in what you actually hear. I started playing around with the height of my monitors by raising them in two inch increments from 42" to 54." I then measured the frequency response after each change (see attached REW plots).

After that I measured myself (6'4") and my chair height (18"). Then I went shopping for an adjustable seat and something to stunt my growth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45-10k-jpg   45-400-jpg  

Thanks
    What does each of the graphs represent?

Thanks
    I increased the size of my computer monitors, and the quantity - and they had to go up and they now have a downwards tilt of around 20 degrees, and the sound did change. The HF end, probably, like in those diagrams, sounded slightly different, and I think the position my head had to be in to get the 'normal' sound was slightly smaller - but I solved it quite simply. I turned the cabinets upside down, so the HF drivers are the lowest, and as far as I can tell, they lowe sound so close to how they sounded before, it's forgotten about. I've now got space for 3 computer monitors side by side and everything works as it should.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    What does each of the graphs represent?
    The graphs represent frequency response with FR on the horizontal axis and level on the vertical. The first, shows the FR from 40 to 10k (full spectrum more or less). The second, a detailed look at the low frequencies (40-400hz). The colors represent the various measurements. In this case, speaker height changes (42" to 54").

They show quite a bit of variation depending on how high the speakers are raised. This is particularly true above 200hz.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    The graphs represent frequency response with FR on the horizontal axis and level on the vertical. The first, shows the FR from 40 to 10k (full spectrum more or less). The second, a detailed look at the low frequencies (40-400hz). The colors represent the various measurements. In this case, speaker height changes (42" to 54").

They show quite a bit of variation depending on how high the speakers are raised. This is particularly true above 200hz.
    This is because you're changing their distance to the floor and ceiling...and their interaction with the room.

Generally, you want to get the midpoint between tweeter and speaker at your seated ear height. Some people like them up an inch or down an inch...some up but tilted down an inch...etc.

I wouldn't get to hung up on your graphs...because those were done with a stationary mic. When you mix/listen, your head is always moving, so the 2" increments are going to be happening constantly when your move you head around.

If you have a low ceiling...like a typical home room with 8' ceilings...you kinda want the speakers to end up generally in the 2/3 height from floor.
    You don't want them up much closer than that to the ceiling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post

Sure, but I was wondering what height each of the colour represents.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    Sure, but I was wondering what height each of the colour represents.
    I can sort that out, but it's pretty irrelevant. None of the heights would be useful to anyone because the FR for each height is a function of my room and it's particular treatment. My point was simply that this gets overlooked as a variable in setting up a room. It has an effect, although your options are limited by other factors including ceiling height. As Miroslav noted above, many people have eight foot ceilings and most simply avoid placing the monitor exactly half way. Your height is not variable unless you are under 16 or over 80, and the standard chair has a limited range. So there is a small incremental range you can work with. In my case, this range made a difference and I was able to "treat" a fairly deep null around 240hz. I didn't have to spend money on additional absorption, and I didn't have to move my speakers and mix position. I simply adjusted the height of my monitors to their current height (44").

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    I wouldn't get to hung up on your graphs...
    If you use REW for very long, it's not a hang up. It's an addiction. Eventually, you have more fun measuring than recording.

Thread Information