Modifications for corners?

Dani Pace

I am considering a little remodeling in my main tracking room (13'X27' with 10' celing) and thought I'd get some other opinions before getting out the saw and hammer. The main thing I have in mind is to cut my corners (walls and celing) by blocking off approximately 18" at a 45 degree angle. I'm experienced with construction so for me that part will be easy (yes I understand compound angles so I can make everything match up corectly.) What I am wondering about is how is this likely to affect the sound in my room? If anyone has had any experience with a room with "cut corners" I'd like to hear about it before I begin. If this is likely to create some weird reflections or extra boominess or other problem let me know in advance, I don't want to put time and effort into something that may cause problems.

Why don't you just fill it with 703? seems like it would be easier/cheaper/cleaner possibly more helpful than just losing the space.
just a thought.
C.

There are several reasons why I am considering this modification, first I want to add more outlets to the room and possibly some extra lighting, i figure the electrical work will be easier to run while the framework is still open. I do plan to fill the space with plenty of insulation before i close it off with gypsum board. We are doing some other remodeling and the materals are mostly leftovers so I wont be having to go out and buy materals other than outlets and light fixtures. I think the cut corners will look cool too, but I am concerned about what affect it might have on the overall room sound. I'm not worried about loosing a little space in the corners and the cut corners where the walls meet the celing definately wont cost me any loss of space.

I meant filling it with 703 & covering it with cloth - letting it soak up sound
instead of reflecting like gypsum is going to. You could still add your power
outlets, jsut frame in around them. Most (some?) people here are scratching for
every little bit of space to add acoustic modifications, and corner bass traps are
often mentioned, seemed like an easy out if you wanted to modify the corners.
I'l take a stab - ( no example have I worked on, or heard) and bet that
you would be better served by adding absorption in the corners than by
slightly decreasing the amount of space in the room and changing the angle of the reflections.
can't ever have enough power outlets!
best of luck
C.

Dani,

> The main thing I have in mind is to cut my corners (walls and celing) by blocking off approximately 18" at a 45 degree angle. <

Do not do that! All that will accomplish is removing the single best places to put bass traps. Bg mistake. No, no, no.

:D

--Ethan

Thanks guys, you saved me a bunch of work which would have accomplished very little and as you say would cost me the locations for bass traps. I guess I'll just run exposed conduit for my outlets and surface mount the boxes, that will be a lot less work and a lot faster. I appreciate your experienced advice, you've saved me from doing something I would have regretted. I guess this is another example of " Just because it looks cool, it dosen't mean that it is."

Dani,

> I guess this is another example of " Just because it looks cool, it dosen't mean that it is." <

Exactly. I can't tell you how many times I've helped people who built their rooms that way because they figured angling off the corners would "avoid" bass problems. I just treated a room for a big-name producer in New York City who had built his control room that way. And there was nothing to do about it except sell him twice as many traps. :D

--Ethan

Actally we just treated a room not to long ago that the person not only cut the wall to wall corners, but also cut the ceiling to wall corners. He could not understand why his room sounded so bad. :rolleyes:

Glenn

Ethan,
You hit my concern head on. I really wasn't sure what affect the idea would have on the sound, that's why I decided to ask BEFORE beginning construction. While experience is the best teacher, I wasn't in the mood to learn another lesson the hard way. Thanks again for setting me straight on this.
Dani

Dani,

> While experience is the best teacher, I wasn't in the mood to learn another lesson the hard way. <

ROFL. Yes, very well put.

--Ethan

Back