Mini Music and Listening Studio (Room)

kolai321

Good day Guys,
I'm new in this forum and I really want to know more about studio design. I want to build my first Home studio which will be placed in my bedroom. For now my only information is it is 11.7 sq. meter room. I will be posting pictures of it maybe later this June. It is in the second floor and it is has a wood over concrete flooring. The walls are concrete and the ceiling is also a plywood(need to check on that but I'm sure its wood though). I will be buying Acoustic Treatments from Auralex since they are close to my place(Philippines). I will be using the studio for listening via a 5.1 speaker system and will also be recording acoustic music with an acoustic guitar and Bass guitar(I have to update the specifications for their amps).

Questions:
>I am currently reading articles on Studio making but currently have no luck finding a room with the same size. How should I place the speakers and also the acoustic treatments in my room?

>I will be building this room from scratch. What type of Acoustic treatments should I use, there a lot of them, and I can't really direct which one to buy.

If you have more suggestions and comments. Please feel free!

The attached image shows the floor plan of two bed rooms either 1 will be the studio.

Thanks,
Joseph :)room.jpg

Second floor concrete floor and walls and plywood ceiling? Phillipines construction is bizarre!
Before buying any 'acoustic treatment' do a lot of reading. You'll need bass traps, Aurlex is the premier acoustic foam mfr, but covering all the walls with it won't do what you want.
Your set up should have your desk/monitors on one of the narrow walls. Unless you are mixing movie soundtracks, you shouldn't be using a 5.1 sound system for mixing, either. Do a lot more reading.

mjbphotos,

Thanks so much, just a correction and it is a wood flooring over the concrete. Yes, I will do a lot of reading on this but is the size of the room okay? and what are good resources for reading. I am currently reading on the RealTraps.com website, they really explain everything. But as I said it is very limited to large home studios, and also RealTraps and Auralex are different(for my own understanding since I'm new on this). I wish there a are some distributors on RealTraps in the Philippines. But as for now I'll keep reading for Auralex and more of the RealTraps.com site.

Thanks so much. :thumbs up:

Read all the threads here at HR.com.

Those rooms are very small. You haven't indicated what you will be recording (vocals, instruments, etc), but rooms that small are not conducive to very good recording or mixing - you will have a lot of reflections/bass build-up. bass traps will help, but you dont' have much space to work with to start with. traps in the corners will redice that space further.

In either bedroom one or bedroom two you will want to set up with your desk against the same wall that the head of the bed is shown in those pics, so that the door is behind you and to the right. You will want to center between the side walls, treat the first reflection points, and get some bass trapping in the corners of the room. You can use the following as a guide: Acoustical Room Advice - GIK Acoustics
Though the room shown is bigger, the same general principals apply to a small room.

Thanks so much for the info.

@mjbphotos:
I will be recording Christian contemporary music, using an Acoutic and bass guitar. Vocals and Instruments will be recorded. I know its really a small room but I know it is still possible. I have my eyes on the Auralex Roominator Project 2 for a start.

@GIK Acoustics:
Thanks for the advice, I am actually reading it again and again to be able to have a deep understanding on the placements. Yes, the room on the link seems a lot bigger compared to mine, but I'm sure it has the same principles. One thing, will only differ from the larger room and the small room, the number of acoustic treatments placed.

Thanks guys. :)

Anyone here know if those Auralex foam corner 'bass traps' really work? I tend to think they don't do too well compared to a decent rockwool/compressed fibreglass trap.

Thanks mjphotos,

What can you products can you suggest? I know there are GIKAcoustics and RealTraps, which offers a good acoustic treatment(I won't say better, since I haven't tied one yet.). For my sake, my last and only option will be Auralex since they have a distributor here in the Philippines. GIKAcoustics and Realtraps would be nice if they have their own distributors here. Maybe I have the option of online purchase but the sad thing is, Customs duties and taxes cost almost half the product you are purchasing, which makes it bad(maybe good for the country but bad for me :)). I heard there are Vicoustic, Serious Energy and etc. distributors here in the Philippines which is posted on this jdacoustic.blogspot.com. What are your thoughts on the product? or should I stick to Auralex.

Many Thanks Guys, :thumbs up:

It is generally recommended here at HR.com to make your own bass traps using compressed fiberglass or rockwool in a wood frame - you can see many threads on this if you search.

Yeah, the Philippines are not easy to get product in. Auralex would be fine for general reflections and such but really don't get the bass trapping you need in the room. Perhaps you could contact John Brandt (he's around on the forums from time to time - you can also google for his contact info) and ask him if he knows any distributors in the area - he's in Indonesia.

Back