Microphone is too heavy

Marcell Simó

Hi everyone

I bought a Rode NT1-A studio microphone and a MS100 boom microphone stand.

The problem is that the Microphone is too heavs so it pulls the boom down. What should I do?

Thank you in advance

Well, for a start slide most of the boom to the opposite side from the microphone to give you some counterweight--and if you have any weights you can tape to the non-mic side, that'll help too.

However, in the longer term, you probably need a more heavy duty stand.

What does the clutch handle look like on your MS100 boom microphone stand?

If it's the dial type and not the bar with a ball on either end (these are the best for tightening) you can use an adjustable wrench to give it an extra turn.

People with out a death grip, ape like hands always have this problem.

That will keep it in place.
:thumbs up:

Yeah that is the cheaper one.

The clutch is the knob on the further side - give that a bit of a twist with a wrench when you get your microphone in the place that you want it.
That should do the trick.

Careful, those things also strip easily. Don't over-tighten it.

Thank you guys.

Unfortunately twisting that thing with a wrench didn't solve my problem... The microphone is still way too heavy. The solution is to buy a more expensive heavy duty stand.

Thank you guys.

Unfortunately twisting that thing with a wrench didn't solve my problem... The microphone is still way too heavy. The solution is to buy a more expensive heavy duty stand.

Until you do, just shorten the boom and make sure it comes out prarallel to one of the tri-pod legs.

I use one of those exact mics on a cheap pos stand ...... no problem at all. You simply cannot have the boom sticking all the way out as others have mentioned.
Back it off a bit and it'll be fine.

Of course I have already done it. And it works that way like a charm. However the problem is that I need it to be longer so I can use it properly.

Until you get something better, and if you don't have some heavier counter-weight to attach to the back end....grab some gaffer's tape and run a loop over the back end of the boom and down around the shaft of the stand....that will keep the front of the boom from moving down when the mic is on.

Marcell, don't know where you live (I would make that a requirement on forums!) but in my town we have several little engineering workshops on industrial estates.
These guys are usually up for a bit of beer money so they would probably cut you out a chunk of steel and bore a hole in it for you. Take your boom along to give them the dimms!

Dave.

Back