Measurements and stuff...

KaosDG

hey everyone

I'm gonna start designing and laying out a keyboard/console desk for myself, and I need to know a few things.

Can someone tell me the dimensions of rack units? like how wide i should build the bays, so I can put rack equipment in it.
(is it 19" like computer racks? i'm good with those)

i don't have that much rack stuff right now (an alesis ra-100 and a mackie 1202), so how much "extra" rack spaces would you all recommend for future stuff?
if the A/V racks are the same size/spacing as computer racks, i will rackmount my DAW also, for consolidation.

Also, i've seen a few threads here on DIY desks, but are there any sites with full plans, specs or tips on building them?

I'm pretty handy with carpentry (my friends call me Norm Abrams on Crack)
So i'm pretty confident in the whole thing.

Thanks again.

I just finished my combination, desk-rack-computer desk. I plan on taking some pictures and posting them but haven't got to it yet.

What I did was search the net for studio furniture. Many sites will show you pictures and also show detailed sketch of it, complete with demensions. Not plans but darn close! I combined a couple and I am very happy with how it turned out.

Check it out and I think you will find what you are looking for.

Larry

Rack mount equipment widths and heights are standard.
Width is 19 inches. There is also a half-rack width, which is annoying for live stuff, since you can't usually screw it in to the standard width rack.

The height of rack mount modules is referred to as 1U or 2U. 1U is one rack mount unit, and it is 1.75 inches (44.45 mm ) from edge to edge, and the mount holes themselves are 1.25 inches (31.75 cm) apart. 2U is double those numbers.

All manufacturers follow these guidelines. If you don't want to buy a predrilled set up, you can make one if you use the correct measurements.

Bushice

How much rack stuff will you need going forward you ask?

1) Do you do this for a living?
1.a. If so, do you make any money at it?
1.a.i. If so, buy all the stuff you can at mercenary audio.
1.a.ii If not, how much room is on your credit card right now?
1b. If not, how much room is on your credit card right now?

2) Are you married?
2.a. If so, will she notice a new Focusrite Red Series faceplate if you add it?
2.a.i. If so, buy a series of blank faceplates from markertek.com and put random knobs on the. As you usher in new gear, discretely replace a blank faceplate with a new unit.
2.a.ii. If not, how much room is on your credit card right now?
2.b. If not, buy everything you can now in case you do get married.

This formula has worked for me.

Bushice said:
, and the mount holes themselves are 1.25 inches (31.75 cm) apart. 2U is double those numbers.

Bushice

OOPSS!!!!! I goofed. make that 31.75 MM, not CM

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The info helps out alot.

What I am looking to build is very similar to the Omnirax Fusion desk.
http://www.omnirax.com/content/Workstations/keyboard/fusion.htm

Basically, there will be 2 racks on either side behind the keyboard
center bay will be a level shelf for my 8-track. (maybe convertible to a 3rd rack space?)

Underneath will be racks on either side, center will be empty (i like to stretch)

Do you think this is possible? I don't want to spend ~$1100 on this desk... plus i'd probably have more fun building it.

Well, here is something of a design I have so far, with a small 3D-View

(Thanks to being unemployed, I can hang at my friends school and use their AutoCAD lab :D )

How's it looking?

Attachments

• desk_des.jpg
    desk_des.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 59
I can't speak for anyone else but I think thats pretty damn cool. Get busy building... I'd like to see the end result.

Kevin.

Back