from mancave to studio

CLos

this is what im working with. concret walls, open ceiling,carpet floor. I record the bass direct as well as drums (done on my keyboard for now). I mic the guitar amp close with a baffle to stop any bouncing. sometimes I'll double the guitar by going direct via a zoom 505. I've completed about 8 tunes. I am mixing down with a $80 pair of H/phones.
I would love some input from some more experienced people, as I am new to the home studio world.

IMG_1267.jpgIMG_1266.jpgIMG_1265.jpgIMG_1263.jpgIMG_1270.jpg

I just have to comment on the cool-ass Marantz stereo up there. That should be worth some $$$.

I'm assuming you want ideas for improvement, right? Get some decent monitors is a good start. How far into this do you want to get? Hobbyist, or do you want to start recording local bands, commercial jingles, etc. semi-professionally?

yes that Marantz has been around for years. I think it's like 500W... I dont use it any more tho. my dads friend gave it to me when i was i teen.
well for now I guess hobbiest would be my classification. but ya never know. I just want to make some GOOD sounding recordings. I am getting some M-Audio bx5's. I hope thats a good start. I will be makeing some some baffle panels too.

yes that Marantz has been around for years. I think it's like 500W... I dont use it any more tho. my dads friend gave it to me when i was i teen.
well for now I guess hobbiest would be my classification. but ya never know. I just want to make some GOOD sounding recordings. I am getting some M-Audio bx5's. I hope thats a good start. I will be makeing some some baffle panels too.

I also own a Marantz (mine the exact same as yours without the wood frame around the face) and use it within my monitoring setup everyday to power my "B" speaker set! They're Realistic Minimus 7's, so it's the ultimate retro consumer reference speaker set up. And I also own Bx5A Deluxes. After using them, I think I would have gone with the 8's, but in a control room the size of mine, anything larger than 5 would just cause more problems than not.

I am mixing down with a $80 pair of H/phones.
I would love some input from some more experienced people, as I am new to the home studio world.

Ok. First off, I would suggest contemplating what your intent here is...ie...

1. WHAT do you intend on doing with the recordings?
2. Are you satisfied with your current recordings?
3. Why did you come here?

At this point, the only observation I can comment on is your monitoring geometry. There is none. You record and mix in headphones. My advice at this point is to purchase a good set of monitors. Then we can go from there.

Ok. First off, I would suggest contemplating what your intent here is...ie...

1. WHAT do you intend on doing with the recordings?
2. Are you satisfied with your current recordings?
3. Why did you come here?

I am working on getting monitors. should be with the next few weeks.
I never recorded at home before so I have nothing to compare it to. I "think" they (the recordings) sound decent. but I would think they I can get them to sound better. I can def, tell the recordings I made when I first started (about a year ago) to my most recent ones.
There for, I want to redo some of the older ones, but want to improve on them as much as possible. Thats one reasons I am asking about the room conditions.
I basically just do it for fun, but I would still like to impress people by saying I didnt it my basement.

Wow, what a room. Looks like 1983 in there. Lol.

Doing everything from a man-room/studio myself, you gotta ask yourself an important question....

How much are you willing to sacrifice comfort and relaxation in your space to accomodate better recording and mixing? The two don't often go hand-in-hand. A good tracking or mixing room probably won't be the best place to watch football or whatever. Keep that in mind.

For starters, I'd say decide what you wanna do. Do you want to track real drums in there? Better get creative with rearranging things. Does a loud amp make things rattle and vibrate in there? Can you move the amp around, or is it stuck in one spot? Definitely get some real monitors. Headphones are okay and you can make good mixes with them over time after you've learned them well, but monitors greatly speed up the learning curve and make for better mixes that translate everywhere. But monitors are only effective if they're set up properly in the right location and the room isn't coloring your sound with unwanted reflections and standing waves. Conventional wisdom says to put your monitors a little off a flat wall halfway between the adjacent walls if your room is square-ish. The first thing you'd probably wanna do is get some bass traps for the corners. Controlling the low end is pretty much ground zero for treating a room. Bass traps in the corners will significantly tighten up the room and the difference will be very noticeable. From there, you can get more detailed and control ceiling and wall reflection with diffuser or broadband panels. Once you get monitors and have your listening position squared away, you can work on the walls and ceiling.

But I'd say decide how you want to use the room, move shit around, tidy it up, and get some monitors and bass traps for starters.

Hi. Ok Clos. Here is the best advice I can give you at this point. Consider this. When you record, you are monitoring in headphones, no? You can hear what you are recording directly. But, when you mix, since you are mixing in headphones, you have no way of knowing what your mix sounds like in the room until you play it back in monitors. But it's too late then. You've already made various sonic judgements based on what you hear in headphones...which is not the same as you are not hearing reflections, comb-filtering, width of stereo field, etc. And that's the problem. Once you've made these decisions on headphones, you can't revise them. That is...unless you do a total remix..which..will give you the same results if you are using headphones, as they are not telling you the truth.

You see..the whole point of monitoring a mix, is TRANSLATION. Which is how well your mix translates to other systems and rooms. For YOU, that probably isn't a problem, as you probably only playback in the same room as recorded, and over time, you learn how your headphone mix translates to that scenario only. But playback your recordings in other rooms, cars and systems..and you will see what I mean.

What most people strive for in a mixing environment, is haveing a setup/room, that does not lie to them. They can trust that thier sonic judgements will translate to other rooms and systems fairly well. Usually, most people find out that because their room DOES lie to them, when they playback in other systems and rooms..there is usually a way over the top use of EQ in the low frequencies...because they can't hear it truthfully in their mix environment. And this is due to small room modal response and boundary interference(destructive reflections) masking what the monitors are telling you. Hence, all the talk here regarding bass trapping. Yes, it is important, as this one single aspect of a CR can make the difference in how well your recordings translate. However..this is why I asked what your intent is with your recordings. If no one else hears them in any other place than your room...well, only you can decide whether or not they are good enough for that context. However...at which time you do have a need for your recordings to translate..you will see. So that is my best advice. Try playing back your recordings in as many other rooms/systems/cars, and see what I am telling you. That is the only way you learn.

At which time you DO decide you want to improve your CR monitoring environment..well, give us a holla and we'll try to help you

Till then...good luck and have fun.:D

Hey, you've got an advantage on me. You've got carpeting and painted walls! But I see you're lacking the most important piece of equipment in any studio - you have no lava lamp!

Thank guys

G.L. .. yes i can move the amp anywhere. And I can crank it and nothing will rattle (except my ears). By rearranging how do you mean. Thats one of the things I was looking for help with, being thats its such a large room. I was thinking dividing it some how.

By rearranging how do you mean. .

I mean arranging the room so you can record, mix, and watch TV or entertain hookers successfully without the different activites intruding on eachother. It's probably gonna take some trial and error to get it just right - especially if real drums are in your future.

I mean arranging the room so you can record, mix, and watch TV or entertain hookers successfully without the different activites intruding on eachother. It's probably gonna take some trial and error to get it just right - especially if real drums are in your future.

right, I do have drums down there now. but I dont/can't play them. hence my using keyboards as drums. so I guess I'll cross that bridge when I have to. I can record fine the way it is, and am happy with the guitar sound I'm getting. It's the mixing that is my main concern now.

as for the hookers, my wife wouldn't be too thrilled with that. Though my son might....LOL

Back