making the center of a room the sweet spot?

Farview

Is there any way to do this? My room is 19 ft wide and 25 ft deep (ish, it's a little more complicated than that) and the sweet spot is currently right about the edge of the mixing board. It would be nice to move it back about 3 feet, but that is the middle of the room. I can't get much closer to the front wall without being too close to the mains.

Is it a matter of massive bass trapping on the back wall, adding clouds, or is it just not possible?

The middle of the room front-to-back is a bad spot because there's always a deep bass null there. Even with a lot of bass traps it's tough to get a good LF response there. More in this article:

How to set up a room

See the sidebar at the lower left for the logic behind being about 38 percent of the way back.

--Ethan

I kind of figured. Because of the size of the room and the size of the console and speakers, the natural place for people to stand while listening or performing is right behind me. The sweet spot (and the 38% point) is right at the edge of the board, where my head normally is.

It's just unfortunate that the natural place to stand is in the worst spot possible. Of course if my mains weren't 3 feet deep, I could just move the console forward a foot and a half and that would solve the problem.

Thank you for responding.

My only option to fix the problem is to cut holes into the wall and put the Urei's in the wall. Of course, it's an outside wall, so that might be a problem...

You could move the console really far back to put you at the other 38%(closer to the back wall). The 38% rule isn't really a rule anyway, just don't sit in the centre.

It would be more practical to hang the back of the mains outside. Besides, that would put the genelecs sitting on the console in the center of the room.

Back