LowE in sliding doors - Improved STC?

RaGe

not too sure about that one ... plus it adds $100 to the price tag.
So is LowE glazing worth it?

No - not unless you need the other environmental benefits of Low E glass - the major differences in acoustics of glass are laminated vs. non-laminated. Laminated of same thickness is a few dB better isolation.

If you're using two splayed sliders, the main thing is that they seal really well - this is where you'd lose the most... Steve

Hello, knightfly, do you have any specs on a particular brand of slider doors used in studios? I've asked quite a few times about sealing this type of door. Or regular solid doors for that matter. I've never seen any details about how to seal a slider at the roller channel(bottom), sides(where doors stiles meet) and at top. It seems they all have a different criteria for sealing. Or are these subject to DIY design? It also seems these details, if not correctly designed and implemented, may negate other soundproofing techniques and materials used in other areas and assemblys. Do you know of any links to these sort of details? Also, do they use double paned glass assemblies in the doors?
fitZ :)

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Do you know of any links to these sort of details?
John Sayers considers this to be a minimum criterion to look for in sliding glass doors:

sliding_door1_917.jpg

Note how the sliding door, and the stationary door's seals fit together.

Here's the sliders I'm using in my studio:
http://www.americancraftsmanwin.com/productGlass.cfm?MID=5600&cat=DR
Dual 1" tempered glass.
Very Heavy!
They run about $600 Ea.

Thanks so much Michael. 1" huh? Woww!! Must be really heavy duty tracks and rollers. Anyway, thats exactly what I was looking for. Ok, question #14987 coming up!:D

Oh btw, how's the construction coming Michael? Good I hope. Have you installed your HVAC yet? I've been outa touch for a week or two.

fitZ:)

Construction - Hmmm... I'll be finished one day, I think.
The exterior is done! Finito! 100%!
Actually, today, I'm insulating and sheetrocking the rear wall of the studio so that I can finish framing the rear wall of the control room.

Inspectors here want to see the insulation installation (say that real fast 3 times) before you can sheetrock. So I can get them out here monday for that, and for a final inspection on the framing soon after.

I had a bunch of rockwool delivered this week, not enough to do the whole studio, but all I can store and work with for now. I also had a BUNCH of 703 delivered too!

Like Water for Chocolate!

I think you misunderstood on the doors, or maybe I wasn't clear:
It's not 1" glass, but 1" separation on dual panes of tempered glass. I forget the thicknesses... I know they're both different thickness of glass; there was one that fell off the dock at the store, so I got to see the insides.

Back