Looking for a Studio Desk around $300 or under.

MrWrenchey

I've been looking around for a studio desk that has some rack units in it, and preferably a way to manage cables. I've got a two monitor setup, so I'd prefer around 45+ inches of space on it.
I've had my eye on this one right here...

Studio Trends 46" Desk - Cherry | GuitarCenter

The review on it's a 5-star and claims it's sturdy. Any other options you guys are using that you'd suggest?

You will never get two monitors (screens I presume) and your audio monitors all on a 46" desk top.

You may need to custom build a desk and there are a few people here who have done so and have posted the who, what, when and how, including pictures.

I for the life of me can't find a link to them now but hold on and I'll look a bit deeper or someone else will post them up.

That's kinda what I was worried about. I've got a 21.5" and a 15" monitor (one for my edit window, one for the mix window in Pro Tools), and I wasn't sure if the desk would fit those AND the audio monitors.

If you happen to find the link, I'd LOVE to check it out.

That's what I was thinking, but I've never tried those before. All the ones I've seen look about as sturdy as Windows ME, if you know what I'm saying.
Do you have any experience with them?

HERE you go look in his signature line for the link.

You can contact Homestudioguy ... he is a gentleman.

He has all kinds of DIY ideas speaker stands, racks, desks! His desk cost him only $80.to build!!!

Even if you can build an ant hill someone with just a little carpentry knowledge can help you and get it done on a Saturday afternoon.

That's what I was thinking, but I've never tried those before. All the ones I've seen look about as sturdy as Windows ME, if you know what I'm saying.
Do you have any experience with them?

Oh my, that killed me laughing. I totally know what you're saying..

Anyways - most of the stands you feel are likely so tipsy since they are hollow. Most stands are meant to be filled with sand to weigh them down and provide better decoupling/less transmission and/or resonance from the stands. Most people don't bother to fill them (though they really should). The stands are much heavier and sturdier with sand. Make sure if you DO buy ones, they do have a hollow area in the center for the stand.

Stands are always a MUCH better idea than putting monitors on a desk anyways. You don't have to worry about decoupling, nor harsh reflections right off the desk. +1 to getting monitor stands (even if you got a desk large enough to fit them, I would recommend separate stands).

I've wanted to get them specifically because of decoupling and phase issues/reflections, but the not-so-sturdy stand thing worried me.
But I wasn't aware of the hollow center thing, thanks for that information. =]

DSCN1019.jpgDSCN1020.jpgDSCN1038.jpg Here are some photos of a desk I made a while ago. At the time there was a lot of problems trying to post the pictures. I didn't use any plans, I just measured and cut as I went along. I had a main idea in my head of course. Send me an e-mail and I'll try and put together a step by step plan. A lot will depend on the size of your room. My monitors are about 21" each. I've added a sliding shelf for the mouse and keypad since the photos were taken.

OMG Moresound! :eek:
A gentleman? :confused:
Now you've really ruined my reputation!!!! :laughings:
Thanks nonetheless!!! ;)

I built the equipped desk in the 2 photos below for $50
I built the rack below the desk photos for $85 including rack rail and casters.
The desk at the bottom (attachment) is one I am building for a local riend. Same as mine but with a 6ft wide desktop instead of 5ft.

50DollarHSGdeskL (640x480).jpg

50DollarHSGdeskR (640x480).jpg

12-SpaceRackB (410x640).jpg

Attachments

• JeffsDesk1 (800x765).jpg
    JeffsDesk1 (800x765).jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 75
Back