looking for the right material for building a vocal booth on a budget from scratch

rifraf115

i'm a new member to this site and i need help with building a vocal booth,i have a 2 car garage and was wondering how much space do i need for a vocal booth.i want it big enough for a 3 person group and not to big for single person recording.If anybody have any suggestions,measurements and building materials and ventilation system,i would be very grateful.remember i'm on a budget and this is my first time trying to build a booth.Can i purchase some of the material at the local do-it-yourself store(lowes - home depot - ace hardware).

rif,
The more info we know the better.
Do you want a booth merely to keep low levels of noise out of the mics like your computer or ambient noise?
Do you you need a high degree of noise iso?
Did you plan on having a window? Did you absolutely need ventilation in the booth or can you simply "air it out" between takes?

Stopping sound takes mass and airtight seals. windows, doors and ventilation are enemies of that goal and increase cost exceptionally more to overcome their compromise.
And yes 90-100 percent of what you need you can get from your local building supplies. About the only thing you may need to buy elsewhere is the absorptive materials you need inside the booth for treating the acoustics.

Get back when you can.

Tom

Back