looking at control surfaces

bstarstudios

Useless Thoughts
ive ben looking at control surfaces for my home studio. was looking for 8 channels but anything would do. i really like the euphonix mc but its 900. the behringer bcf but ive heard hts noisy as hell. anyone have any ideas for a budget friendly control surface new or used?

No: I don't have experience with them
I have held them and had a look at them in the shop.
Motorized faders?
I suppose if you're an experienced engineer and having trouble switching over to a mouse, motorized faders would be an advantage but other than that, I don't see it.
I use my Korg D3200 as a control surface , just to get a quick feel for the mix.
I can bring things in and out, either on the Korg or in the PC, with the faders in a matter of seconds as opposed to minutes/hours.
But the final mix is done with the mouse.
Very precisely.
A control surface is a nice thing to have but not entirely necessary.
If you want to spend a little more, go with the Zoom R16 and get a complete stand alone recorder/audio interface into the bargain.
Or if you really want motorized faders without spending a lot, have a look at the Behringer BCF2000. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/497327-REG/Behringer_BCF2000_WH_B_CONTROL_FADER_BCF2000_.html
But in all honesty, for a real control surface that will do everything you want... start at around $1000.
I craved one, by the way, until I discovered that the Korg worked.
I'm over it now.
As for your Euphonix MC? I wouldn't spend $900 on it. 8 channels is only half of a surface controller.
16 is the natural number.

thanks, yeah ive had a fair bit of experience and i can use my mouse just fine, i just think a controller would be easier. i really like the Zoom R16 ive looked at it and the hd16, and happened to gorget they worked as a controller. the r16 is a solid deal ill look into one of those

BTW, just wanted to mention that AFAIK the Euphonix controllers are Mac only, unless they've already delivered the PC driver/software.

Also, if you're looking at motorized faders, have you looked at the Mackies?

Back