Lighting for Small Music Room+ little advice on drum isolation? [Advice appreciated]

N

norskdrum

:)Hello Fellow members..

Hoping for a bit of advice on Lighting for very small room?
This room will eventually contain a percussion set up

:-[Conga`s+Tibales+assorted hand Percussion e.t.c.]

Even if the room were not going to be used for anything musical,then I was still looking around at lighting ideas as it is small and very little natural light.
Now I am transforming the room in to a music room where (ok) Yes I will be recording my percussion lessons for reference (have posted elsewhere about this aspect)

I would like to install some nice lighting? at the moment it as a 30 year old twin flourescent mini tubes( 60cm each) behind a deffused plastic cover(bit like the old dentist surgery set up (yak):eek:the lighting is ok..but I would like something better and warmer.

any suggestions..I am told keep away from halogen & flourescentsgo for something with not to much heat??

Hope someone can give me a few suggestions(i am not to bright:laughings: when it comes to all this ) so please keep it relatively simple.

EXAMPLES: possibly swan necked lights on monitors?
Spots on playing area e.t.c.sure you guys have your own ideas.

The room is only
3 mtrs x 2 mtrs x 2.35 mtrs high.

one length (3m) and one side(2m) built into solid mountainside
on the long side are two small windows rectangular total size 90cm X 30cm each approx The reason I mention the above details is I would like to ask if one of these drum isolation booths [would keep noise levels down?] or something similar maybe panels of somekind as long as they do not cost loads of cash!

Really do not wish top get in to the Home studio thing,to deeply got to be practical?

I know through the amount I have already read on the subject that this is a massive subject which covers a very wide spectrum of opinion.

anyway all help welcome

Regards Steve:)

Last edited:
I use track lighting with a mixture of halogen spots and incandescent lighting with hanging pendant lamps. Get a modular system and you can buy the track lengths you need and what ever fixtures you want.

Last edited:
Good Day Heatsinks::)
Really do appreciate your reply..as lighting my room is a priority at the moment as it is being renovated floor to ceiling

use track lighting with a mixture of halogen spots and incandescent lighting with hanging pendant lamps. Get a modular system and you can buy the track lengths you need and what ever fixtures you want.

This isn't my photo but this is essentially the same type of stuff I have
:

Many thanks for the photo,this is exactly the type of lighting set up I was already looking at..Just a few questions if I may.Halogen are they not a bit to hot? folk have advised me against them in the past..when you say incandescentI assume you mean the old fashioned screw/bayonet filiment bulbs..which are being replaced rapidly in europe by energy saving bulbs of many types.??

I suppose LED whilst cool,are not ideal(thoughts appreciated) and how about wattage size(again thoughts appreciated)

Like you I like the track module route...I also thought it would be cool to have tthem dimmable?(if possible) and also maybe have a couple of highlight lights over/under the monitors..maybe in blue..have seen some with small swan neck(I think)

Really am keen on the right lighting so any further suggestions appreciated

all the bvery best for now
Cheers Steve:)

I would go with LEDs on a dimmer. that way you are not using as much electricity and as long as they are on their own circuit I don't think the will make too much noise? Some sort of track lighting is always desirable if you need to see sheet music or pedals etc.

Good Day Raymort.
Good to hear from you,much appreciated.
I was sort of leaning towards somekind of Track lighting but was unsure what type to use...
the LED how would this be used? positioned e.t.c...I am trying to get a rough idea how all this fits in together..
so any and all information and further suggestions very much welcome

all the best Steve

You can't dim CFL bulbs that's why I went with Halogen - they are hot though - and yes the incandescent are the old screw in ones - I have them on a dimmer so its basically my only choice unless I want to spend $40 a bulb on LEDs... not happening. I will have a pic up soon.

Hello Arcadeco..
Good of you to reply..I am really very interested in the lighting options.
I think I am going with Track lighting (but not sure which tio choose) likewise not sure weather LED or halogen?
Really am no expert but would appreciate further assistance & suggestions..ordinary (old fashioned these days,incandescent bulbs are out) I have being looking on line at many track systems bit of a minefield getting the balance and price right,,,

Look forward to seeing your pic

all the best & many thanks Steve

Forgot to ask...
Is it an easy job to fit a dimmer switch on the wall where the light switch is or possibly use a seperate dimer switch..reason I ask is the switches here (norway) are 38 years old and are double the one at the top for the light and the botton one for underfloor heating cable they are in the same plastic unit...maybe it would not be a difficult job to replce them but I do not know anything about electronics and electricians here charge more than you could ever imagine??

anyway your thoughts appreciated

cheers Steve

It's easy in the US - The switches have been made the same for the past 50 years. They do make connections for that track lighting that allows you to plug it into an electrical outlet instead of wiring it into your wall. You can also get a dimmer switch that controls them - I use a setup like that in my bedroom.

I started with this:
3-Light White Linear Track Lighting Kit-EC5150WH at The Home Depot

3-Light Track-Lighting Kit-EC6440WH at The Home Depot

then added some basic track and switches - this stuff is all modular so you can add "L" connectors and run the track all around your ceiling (which is what I am going to do, I currently have a L and I am going to add another bend and make it a U - got a heater vent in the way though so i might need an extender or something...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...3-_-100323322-_-100323316-_-N&locStoreNum=129

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Id=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202572771

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Id=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202887061

Hi there..
Many thanks for taking the time to give me the links to Home depot e.t.c. I have saved the links for future reference
I am sure I can find suitable track lighting as well as mybe a dimmer..e.t.c.fingers crossed.
I would like if possible to have not only a bright (max level) lighting but aslo a good coverage..not to stark.my room is small and not a lot of natuaral light.

keep the good ideas coming

all the best Steve

Back