let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
I love making live recordings and mixing them afterwards. Really good fun if you get your mic placements right and aren't kicking yourself for forgetting to connect that other overhead mic!! It bypasses all the annoyance of coaxing a performance out of yourself or someone else.

I think I'm talking myself into fitting a HD24 into my live rack! :eek:

Thanks Bruce...

The .wav's don't sound that thin. Those are small mp3's for the web. Those were actually recorded using the aux 1 and 2 send on the Venice as a L-R, then out to the CD burner in my rack. I then EQ'ed and compressed with SoundForge 8.

I just put an AD24 in the rack and will begin re-mixing live performances - tonight is the first time. Wish me luck :)

BTW, I've been mixing live for 4 years, recording for 2. This is my 'empty next' pre-retirement hobby project.

michaelst said:
Thanks Bruce...

The .wav's don't sound that thin. Those are small mp3's for the web. Those were actually recorded using the aux 1 and 2 send on the Venice as a L-R, then out to the CD burner in my rack. I then EQ'ed and compressed with SoundForge 8.

I just put an AD24 in the rack and will begin re-mixing live performances - tonight is the first time. Wish me luck :)

BTW, I've been mixing live for 4 years, recording for 2. This is my 'empty next' pre-retirement hobby project.
You're doing fine -- and good performance always weighs-out over sound-quality anyways! Keep at it!!

Hi, I'm new here, I'm a drummer looking to get into recording. Hope to pick up some info before I start purchasing equipment.

My room was used primarily for our band to practice. The dimensions are 11.5 x 13 with 9 ft. ceiling. The room is separated from the main house attached to the carport. The Aurelex foam has taken out the awful slap and reverb. It was hard to even talk in the room before. Lots of ECHO! Now it sounds great with a 4-5 piece band playing at full volume! The floor is glued office carpet. When I put the foam up I figured it would work best if each piece were opposite bare wall. My drums (not shown, duh) are set up in front of the large square. The opposite wall is fully covered in foam. I recently gave the room a facelift after the band fell apart; new paint scheme, new lights and dimmers, new carpet, added color foam for accents, added foam to ceiling over drums and far end and new door locks.

The A/C unit was a neccesary evil. 4-5 guys plus gear in south Louisiana gets hot!
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4
pic 5
pic 6

Last edited:
Great looking tracking room, marknrox!

How are you gonna record when the A/C unit is running? I figure it will be very noisy.

Reactions: NL5
Thanks for the comments.

When we had the house built 8 years ago, all I wanted was a place to play my drums and hopefully not bother anyone. So we had the builder close off ¾ of the storage room and make a dedicated practice room. I had no idea how to 'soundproof' the room and neither did my builder. He suggested double layers of sheetrock over some sort of fire-rated soundboard like you find in apartments. After all that the room still bleeds pretty bad, mostly through the door and of course the window unit. I was thinking of making a removable baffle to go over the a/c while recording. It does have central air that extends from the main house but doesn’t have enough air-flow to cool well, (we had to freeze out the main house to make a difference.) A separate zone would be the answer but cost too much at the time.
It's too bad I didn’t have this site and everyone here to help me make better choices while building. It would be nice to be able to play anytime I wanted. The foam has made a tremendous difference in the sound inside but not the transfer of sound through the walls. (I was kind of hoping it would have.) I still love the room though it could have been so much more. If we ever remodel, which is possible, I will do a little more homework first.

Giganova said:
wow -- the pictures of your studios made me really jeleous ;-) Even though I've upgraded over the last few weeks it's still just a joke compared to most of your setups.

LOL i have the same desk.......

King Production said:
LOL i have the same desk.......
LOL I have so much stuff on the desk that I worry if it'll crash! I think I'll reinforce it next week with a few boards and screws.

Just made some changes in my studio (added a Future Retro Revolution and an Alienware notebook) and thought I'll post a recent pix.

Funny thing: my wife never comments on my gear, she is absolutly oblivious about it and doesn't seem to realize that I have a small studio. However, when I unpacked the Revolution a few days ago she said "Wow -- what's that?? Its beautiful!! Put it somwhere so people can see it, I luv it!". She then even put on the headphones and played around on the Revolution synth for 1/2 hr or so. That was the first time she ever touched a piece of gear in my studio! Seems like the "revolutionary circular design" of the Revolution does the trick and inspires people. ;)

Attachments

• Giganova_051605_750pix_2.jpg
    Giganova_051605_750pix_2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,897
nice

Giganova said:
Just made some changes in my studio (added a Future Retro Revolution and an Alienware notebook) and thought I'll post a recent pix.

Funny thing: my wife never comments on my gear, she is absolutly oblivious about it and doesn't seem to realize that I have a small studio. However, when I unpacked the Revolution a few days ago she said "Wow -- what's that?? Its beautiful!! Put it somwhere so people can see it, I luv it!". She then even put on the headphones and played around on the Revolution synth for 1/2 hr or so. That was the first time she ever touched a piece of gear in my studio! Seems like the "revolutionary circular design" of the Revolution does the trick and inspires people. ;)
thats nice

Tribal Studio

Here's my studio. Please bear in mind i'm am only 16. I've worked sooo hard for the gear i own. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Pic182.jpg
    Pic182.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,329
  • DSCN0735-medium.jpg
    DSCN0735-medium.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,485
  • Pic180.jpg
    Pic180.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,246
  • Pic183.jpg
    Pic183.jpg